is it ok to fast while breastfeeding?

I'm breastfeeding my 6 month old baby. but I'm wondering if it's ok to have religious fast. or if it will hurt our nursing times.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on what type of fast you'd be doing and how long. As long as it's a short one, say only a day or two, it shouldn't hurt either of you.

Just make sure that you drink enough water that either of you get dehydrated. I've done fasts in the past, but not the "can't eat anything" type ones. Most people hear the word "fast" and think you spend weeks with nothing to eat. That's because they don't research anything.

Good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Absolutely not!! You will be hurting yourself and the baby!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• anon's right!!!! Listen to her -your protein intake is what's in your breastmilk that baby is eating!!!! If you really feel that you must fast then get baby on formula with doctor's approval asap!!!! You really truly will not be forsaken if you do not fast.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• NO!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• No. Most assuredly it will affect your milk supply. A waning milk supply can be very hard to build back up. Besides that, you are fasting your baby when you fast while nursing.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You will end up making yourself very sick. You need to maintain your calorie intake to maintain your milk supply and to make sure you are healthy. You will end up fainting or very light headed etc. I would not fast at all. God understands that you have a baby to take care of, and that fasting is not possible right now. God will never want you to hurt yourself :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Most faiths that practice fasting ask menstruating, pregnant, and nursing women to not participate. Catholics generally are absolved of fasting during Lent due to pregnancy and nursing. Muslim women do not participate in the Ramadan fast if they are pregnant nursing, or having their cycle. Their are other ways to participate in the festival/ sacrament without stressing your nursing relationship.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I don't know what your motivation is spiritually speaking, so can only add fasting can cause dehydration and so could very likely affect your milk supply. I wanted to do another fast (for health reasons. Not religious) but after researching it decided against it until I've finished nursing my daughter.
    Greymulkin

Answer by Greymulkin at 10:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• When I fast while breastfeeding I do like a no sweets for 24hr fast. Or I'll just avoid other foods I don't need to eat during that time. It's still making a sacrifice, while not hurting your lil. ones food supply. I've heard of people doing fasts where they only drink water instead of kool aid or soda, and ones where they only eat certain foods like cereal, chicken and rice. If you want to fast think about what you can give up for a certain amount of time without hurting your baby and try that

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Nope...you need all the nutrients you can put into your system to stay healthy.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 11:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2010