should I be concerned? (potty training)

My daughter's been practically potty training herself (we would sit her on the potty a few times a day and she just stopped using her diaper shortly thereafter). I have her in underwear (I've been putting a pull-up over her underwear when we've gone out because she won't ask to go potty yet while we're out and a pull-up for bedtime, but they always remain dry). No accidents yesterday. No pee during sleep or nap for 3-4 days. Here's my worry -- yesterday I put her on the potty probably 10 times, but she only peed 5 times the whole day and it never seemed like huge volumes. When my other daughter was training, she went every hour! Two of the times she held it for over 3 hours. Is this normal, okay? I'm worried that she either is holding her pee too long or maybe even not getting enough fluids! She only drinks water -- I've tried everything to get her to drink anything else, but she's crazy like that. Would you be concerned?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 8:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, I wouldn't be concerned. Just let her keep moving at her own pace. Keep pushing the fluids and she will continue to go.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• If you're honestly extremely concerned I would call her pediatrician. I don't think there's anything wrong there personally, but you never know. My in-laws found out my youngest BIL had a bad kidney among other problems by noticing he didn't pee very often and just raising concern to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My son is 3 1/2 and has a bladder of steel! He can hold himself for 5 hours. I never ask him to go, he just goes when he needs to. I do make him go before nap time and bed time, other then that he goes by himself. He does dribble at night so he wears a diaper then but otherwise he wears underwear. I would give him an m&m everytime he went but he never tells me, he just helps himself. I do have a new toilet seat that is and adult/toddler seat . You lift the inner lid for the toddler and outer for an adult and it is very easy to clean. I purchased it at Walmart for $36 so there would not be the hassle of adding the separate toddler seat. She sounds wonderful! Good job on pottytraining!
    RaisnKids

Answer by RaisnKids at 9:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You've tried everything to get her to drink something else? Why? Water is good for her. She should be drinking mostly water.

As for holding it for 3 hours, maybe she has really good bladder control. I don't pee every hour. Nor do my kids.
    How many ounces of water per day do you think she's drinking? Go ahead and push more water, it won't hurt her. See if she pees more often when consuming more water.
    Anonymous

• I realize she should be drinking mainly water. I haven't had any success with milk (pediatrician really wanted me to encourage that) or soy milk, things like that (my kids aren't offered juice except as a treat on special occasions). I'm glad she loves water, I just wanted to up the fluids a bit while we were zeroing in on the potty training (it helped my first daughter to have an extra cup of milk or a 3/4 diluted apple during this stage of it). I have been pushing the water... but that's the problem with water -- you drink it when you're thirsty, but otherwise, not too exciting so it's hard to get her to drink any more of it...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• my daughter was peeing less often then less and less pee was coming out. her labia was closing up. had to do surgery on her to fix it.
    lil_ferfer

Answer by lil_ferfer at 4:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2010