Sexual Harrasment

I filed a sexual harassment claim against a co-worker and my company has done nothing. He is still out working and they told me to "be careful, and watch your back, try not to be alone" I drive a service truck ALONE. This co-worker gets angry easily. It's not his first complaint, yet he's still out driving around, working. I can't be alone in the office, he tried to corner me. I am so stressed out I can't sleep, or eat. My DH is deployed so I don't even have him at home to help me. What should I do? I just want to go in and quit, be done with it. I am the only female out of 50 employees. The first girl to work there in the field in 15 or so years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• tell you the truth momma I'd quit being the only woman out of that many men unless there's another coworker that you can confide in who would have your back if something else were to happen with that guy.

Be careful. What job is worth fear? What would you husband say, probably quit?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't quit. I would threaten to get an attorney if they don't do anything about it. Sexual harassment is against the law and you need to put your foot down.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Find another job and quit. Yes it would be great to fight the good fight for women's lib and all that crap but realistically it's not likely to happen here. You don't want to get hurt. And quitting doesn't mean you give up either. You can continue the suit from a safer place.

If you have any local media that would be interested in your story maybe drop them a line AFTER you find a new job and leave that company. You would likely get a lot of support depending on where you live....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would go talk to your HR person again, and if they again tell you to "watch your back" you need to go report the company. I honestly can't think of who you'd report them to -- hopefully someone else can answer that. But seriously: by law the company HAS to do something about him. I actually had my MIL file a sexual harassment claim against a co-worker on behalf of me cause I was scared to do it: she filed it Thursday and Monday afternoon he was fired. That's how things SHOULD be done (in my opinion) but don't just stop fighting it cause your employer tells you to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 5:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'd quit being the only woman out of that many men unless there's another coworker that you can confide in who would have your back if something else were to happen with that guy. To answer this where we were stationed last there was other women, but we are now stationed in an area that women don't do any kind of "man" job. I love my work and I am good at it. Unfortunately there is no other company I can work for here. There is only one of this type of company in the area. I tried calling the EEOC today but there was a 25 min wait. I will try the website tonight. I took tomorrow and Friday off, maybe something will change by Monday. If not, I guess I will contact an attorney. No job is worth this stress.

Anonymous