How can I deal with a mouthy 5 year old girl?

I am at the very end of my patience with my 5 year old daughter. Mainly I notice the issue when she is doing something that I ask her not to do, such as being mean to her younger sister, etc. I ask her to stop & she either makes this grunting noice in response or laughs, I am guilty of completely letting those responses get to me. NOTHING I say works & the laugh or grunt just get under my skin. Let me know what I should be doing in these situations? How can I keep my cool? I've done the whole, "Can you please express yourself a little differently so that I understand" and that just makes her do her grunt noice more.

What do I do?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Remove her from the situation. Put her in time out and tell her when she can talk to you in a respectful manner then she can get up.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with pp. Do you just tell her to stop or do you take action? People say just scolding works but I know it certainly doesnt work with my dd!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2010