Making a kids army ant costume for school program...any ideas?

Sigh. I am far from a seamstress and Halloween is long gone,yet I have to make an army ant costume for my 3rd grader,lol. I'm trying to picture it in my head and even attempted to find a picture of somthing online for some ideas and found nothing. Any of you brilliant moms out there have any ideas for me? Website to see a picture? A place to just BUY one would be good,lol. Easy/Simple ideas of how to make one?
I was thinking of going to a thrift store to try to find some army gear and maybe trying to attach some sort of antennas and legs? I don't know. Let me know your ideas! All will be appreciated! Thx...p.s. offers to MAKE it for me would be lovely too....LOL.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• #
    1

Dress in all brown clothing. This should include a long-sleeve shirt or turtleneck, long pants, gloves and brown boots. Use army boots as a play on the army ant idea.
    #
    Step 2

Attach two brown pipe cleaners to the top of a head band, brown hat or hood of brown shirt or sweatshirt as antennas. Glue a brown cotton ball to the tip of each antenna
    oldmissb

Answer by oldmissb at 11:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 5:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• #
    tep 3

Fill a brown duffel bag with a blanket to give it bulk. Ants typically have a bottom that extends much longer than a natural human bottom, almost like a tail. To create this element in the costume, use the handles or straps on the duffel bag to secure it around the wearer's waist, the bag portion should hang over the back of his legs. Use duct tape or a belt to secure further and tuck any unused straps inside the bag.
    #
    Step 4

Add a humorous touch in honor of the roles of the army ant colonies. For the queen place a crown on the head around the antennas. For soldiers, place an army cap between the antennas. Soldiers can also carry a toy rifle if desired.
    oldmissb

• go to you tube and search for bugz play and it will pull up several little school clips where you can see examples of this costume.
    oldmissb

Answer by oldmissb at 11:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2010