what should we do afterschool?

I want to make sure my children are learning enough, and also that they get enough free play and time to play with me. Now that they are in kindergarten I am not sure what to do. Should we work on things afterschool or should i let them play. How much time should i spend playing with them. I feel guilty when they are gone all day that I have to make dinner and clean it up afterward. I try to draw with them, talk about their day, and we always read stories and take showers every night. What else should we be doing. I am just looking for opinions on some fun activities, and making sure i spend enough time with my children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why not have then help you cook. You can make it fun and also learning time and you are spending time together. Have them help you clean up. You can also make that a learning time. Example: You can say when you are putting forks in the dishwasher or washing. How many are there.

I love cooking with my 6 yr old and 3 yr old.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• What you are doing sounds normal and appropriate. As for learning things outside of school, everything including playtime can be a learning experience. Pretend play is a great learning tool, especially with young children. If you take them to the store have them help find things that start with a certain letter or something like that. Talk to them a lot and ask questions like how many or what letter does that start with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My kids (1st & 2nd grade) come home, empty their backpacks, I check through their papers, they wash their hands, and if they have homework, that comes first. If they don't, or after the homework is done, they can do what they want - watch PBS, play, read...I'm always available and in the room, or in & out because I'm making supper. After supper they either wash up or get in the shower. Supper cleanup doesn't happen til after they're in bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with the idea of having them help you in the kitchen making and cleaning up dinner with age appropriate responsibilities and the obvious understanding that this may mean meal prep takes a bit longer and might become a bit messier, but could also be a more fun time for you and them. At this age playing is still learning so just make the things that you do incorporate education- instead of sitting down to do flashcards just work on counting and colors with games that you are already doing, etc. I also think that if you are in a rush to get dinner on the table and it is easier to have the kids play on their own or watch a tv show that is not the end of the world and does not make you a bad Mommy at all. Having the night time routine ensures you all have special time together on a daily basis.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• my daughter comes home and plays outside, usually with the neighbor kid..then she helps set the table for dinner, sometimes helps me cook..then shes in the shower or bath by 6, out by 630, and we do her reading homework, then play a puzzle, or something, then tv for a few minutes, then bed by 730-8..shes only in kidnergarten tho, so she doesnt really get homework..other than having to read everynight
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• things i love to do with my boys is, Play I spy, turn off the tv and just dance with them being silly, help them with their homework then go out side for a walk or go to a museum,let them help me cook or bake, one of my very favorite things to do with my kids after school tickle them i love to hear their laughter, i love helping my kids be kids it is so important. I hope i have helped you best of luck
    Mom4life1015

Answer by Mom4life1015 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Children learn great while playing. Just make what you're doing is fun! Who says education has to be boring?!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Count things, read books, dance to music, play instruments you make (pots and pans, shaker bottles, etc). Rhyming games, make up stories, dress up, repeating games, sing!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• We have the book, 501 Science Experiments. It is full of quick and fun science experiments that use mostly things you have around the house. They don't take long, but they're fun and neat. Younger grades don't have alot of time in school for science, and science is fun! Some examples are making a rubbery egg, blowing up a balloon with yeast, shooting off a rocket with an antacid, etc.

0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2010