has anyone else ever ended a friendship, and how did you deal with the hurt afterwards??

I hate this, but it seems like lately I've lost several friendships. I can see the good in this decision and yet it still stings. Has this ever happened to you, and if so how did you deal with the sting of being dumped? or even if you were the one who dumped the other friend?

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I just realized it's for the best. I've had friends that were the BEST, when they were there. I, imo, am an awesome friend...when I'm there. I just put myself and my family first which means friends came last. As a result, I have no friends. Yeah it hurts but I've got my priorities.
    I know... I'm awful. :-(
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 10:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i had this friend for 11 years we went through so much but she started seeing one of my husbands friends and when they broke up she thought i was taking his side not hers so i told her that i am to old to be in the middle of this kid SH*T and we have not talk since it has been almost a year now and i still have not talked to her and i dont plan on it it hurts but some people just dont change
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Well, I had a friend that I use to get along with great. What was difficult for me though as the friend was religious, and I was...well...not so much. Because of her particular religion, she was very cautious with her income. I never had a problem with that at all! I mean thats great and smart, and I never judge people on thier beliefs. However, because I lived my way and she lived her way- she always took it upon herself to tell me what was "smart" to do with my money, or how I "wasting" my money on certain purchases. We also shared totally different political views- (I was liberal, she was conservative). We would debate though, but never fight, and we always came to a mutual settling of our debate to where no one was mad. But what made me end it was she would take off before her child came home from school (@ like 1pm!, the child was home @3) and then just casually call me to get the child and watch them. Continue....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I've lost a lot of friends, due to betrayal, emotional abuse..just because they had become toxic friendships..it hurts, it is never easy, you have to weigh whether they are a healthy person to have in your life..I may be a harsh judge, but I treat people the way I would want to be treated and if someone says or does something to me that I can't tolerate and wouldn't ever dream of doing to them, I let them go..I'm a good person and a good friend and I deserve nothing less than that in return.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• ......Continue. Now at first I had no problem with this at all. But then it just became very regular. and I just felt like I was being taken advantage of. The more I stepped back and looked it seemed like every aspect of her life was lived just to where she would benefit from whatever she did and forget everyone else. It was very sad that I saw her this way now, and found it very difficult to get past the way that I saw her. I am sure that she found issues with me. but for me, this was a breaking point. I still talk to her on occasion, but no longer go out of my way to keep in contact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Just tell yourself people come in to your life for a reason and a season. Their season is over and it's time to find new friends. It's as easy as that.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I disagree with admckenzie...it isn't as easy as all that, but yes, there is reason that people come into your life and at one point it may have been a healthy one, but when their friendship becomes toxic to you, it's time to let go, there is no way to ease the pain and stop missing them or stop wishing they could have been better to you, it hurts, it can hurt for months, even years can go by and you will get pangs of missing them, you need to develop new friendships, we all need friends, if you lose friends and don't make new ones, the pain can hold onto you much longer than if you're out there having fun with new friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'm a Military Wife, friends are like changing undies when you live this lifestyle. There will always be the opportunity to meet new people..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I was the dump-er - no sadness or anything, it was for the best - the so-called "friend" was ruining my marriage. It was a good choice and I have never regretted it.
    Anonymous

• thank you all for your answers. I have ended about 5 friendships just since Christmas...one was my BFF, who dumped me the day after I spent 70 bucks on her birthday. And this week its my birthday , so I know I won't be hearing from her at all.guesss im just kind of down about the whole situation..well, thanks for the advice and I will take it. I am praying for new friends and I am trying to keep an open mind about everything.
    ilovedogs1967

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2010