Boys 10 year Birthday Party...ideas?

Well...my baby boy is turning 10..yep double digits :( lol.
I would like to make his birthday special...but we are on a budget.
I would like to allow him to invite his entire school class...but wold have to do it at home if we do that. We do have a pretty big house so I'm not worried about space however...that would be 23 kids plus our family...AND it is cold and snowy outside so no outdoors for us.
What kind of stuff could we do? Themes?Games? How do I keep them entertained? Have you ever hired an entertainer to your kids party?What kind and how much did it cost?
It would be sooo much easier if he was a summer baby,lol. His bday is March 24 so I'm thinking the party will be either March 20 or the 27th..not sure yet.
Also..what kind of food would be good to serve? And should I invite the parents as well as the kids so there are more adult eyes for supervision?ANY ideas will be appreciated! Thankyou! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• First off be prepared if you invite 23 kids probably 15 or so will be there. I think it is ok to invite parents, in my experience, most usually just drop off but a couple may stay. I think theme parties are a good idea. What is he into, what does he want to do for his party. I have learned that when they become 10 and over they become really insistent about doing things their way. Incooperate some of his ideas into the party. Maybe a pirate theme and have a scavenger hunt. Whoever finds the treasure win a prize. I would divide into groups of 3-4 kids then give the group each a surprise. You can search for party ideas and games just type into your search engine. I use google on a daily basis. I never had to do a boys a party but I am an expert in girls. This year it was girlie skulls for Renee and peace signs for Ashton.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 11:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure how tight of a budget you're on. My 10 year old said he would rather only invite 3 or 4 boys to his bday party, so we took them to an NC State basketball game. It wasn't one of the "big" games so we got a pretty good deal on tickets from someone who had season tickets but wasn't going - found them on craigslist. And we didn't eat there, had the kids eat supper beforehand and then we went back to our house after the game and had bday cake and ice cream and then let the kids sleepover. We had doughnuts and juice for breakfast. It didn't cost as much as a "regular" party at the skating rink or something usually costs (although the rink wasn't as expensive as the blow up playground we used to rent!). But if he wants to invite that many people - I've never done that at my house, nor am I brave enough to!

Answer by missanc at 10:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My kids also prefer a smaller crowd with a sleepover or a special event. He might like doing an indoor campout with a few boys.

If we were doing a big at-home party during a meal time I would serve pizza or hot dogs. At 10 carnival style games like ring toss could be fun. One year I bought nerf guns with suction cup arrows and drew targets on my sliding glass doors - the kids enjoyed shooting at the targets. You could make it a sports or olympics party and have the kids compete in games, but instead of actual olympic events make it stuff like relay racing with a balloon between the knees.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• cont.
    Pizza is always my choice of food for a party. We have a place around here that serves a 50 cut with two toppings for 23.00. I usually buy 2. We had my daughters 12th birthday party last weekend and I probably had 13 kids and 9 adults. We had several pieces left over. I bought 10 bottles of soda, made 2 gallons of iced tea, and 2 gallons of kool-aid. Theme was hot pink and lime green peace signs. I bought the small colored plates in theme colors at Walmart (god bless that store), regular plates for pizza and theme colored table coverings. Altogether I spent about 100.00 on party. A lot less than Renee's but you only turn 13 once.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 11:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2010