have you ever missed a prenatal exam?

if you have, did the dr. dismiss you from care for not fulfilling your duties as a patient?
my dr. cancelled an appointment with me, i then got a cold and lost my voice for nearly three weeks. as soon as i could be understood on the phone, i called to reschedule. this actually took 3 weeks. they told me that if i didn't come in the next day that the receptionist would need permission from the dr. to schedule me again. if i came in the next day, then my son would have to miss school. honestly the stress from not knowing weather or not i would have to search for a new dr. is causing contractions!!! does this really make me a bad patient, or non compliant? i never read anything in the paperwork about this office policy of losing care if i miss an appointment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm sure its just a policy for patients who don't take their care seriously. Just explain it to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• How far along are you?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes it is a liability issue for the Dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Ive only heard of dropping after 3 no call no shows! If your having contractions from the stress call them and tell them that! You need to be seen, I know in my area after 26 weeks i believe youd be hard pressed to switch OBs...something about liability! Not saying it will be that way everywhere! But i would call and explain, and if its the receptionist, go in there and ask to talk to the doc directly!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• do you mean that you missed a schedule appt and didn't contact them for 3 weeks, or you didn't even have one scheduled. if the first, then i don't blame them at all. especially with it being weeks. i would find it really hard to believe that the person couldn't have found some way to communicate the problem.

either way, you should switch. you want to be w/ someone you feel comfortable with. =) i looked into multiple OBs and midwives before choosing.

gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• op here-
    i am 25 weeks.
    i didn't miss a scheduled appt, the dr. canceled a scheduled appt, and it took me 3 weeks to reschedule it.
    i wish that i had spoken with the dr. directly. i didn't even know that was an option. it probably would have been a lot less frustrating.
    i do have an appt for tomorrow am.
    thanks ladies!

Anonymous