HOw do I keep my daytime potty trianed child from wetting the bed at night?

scotner1541

Asked by scotner1541 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• easiest thing is no drinks or food at least 1 hour before bed.

but you know what, if your child needs a pull up at night, use them. sure it'll cost you about $10 or so a month for them, but it's easier than washing the bedding daily
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• simple that.(prev poster) we didnt gave riley anything to drink 2 hrs b4 bedtime.
    we found pulls ups to be too much like diapers and she would just pee in them. so yeah i had to do a bunch of laundry but she caught on super fast and in th eend it was worth it.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• At my dd's 4 year check up I told the ped she was still in overnight pull ups, he said it was totally normal and some kids can't really master the overnight thing until at least age 5 due to the size of their bladder, etc... I know many will say to not allow liquids at night, but if my kids are thirsty I don't have it in me to deny them water....so, we kept her in pull ups (again, the special overnight ones, regular ones still left her soaked)....by about age 4 1/2 she kept waking up dry night after night, we gave her a couple of weeks of doing that and then started letting her go solo. She's 5 now, and I'd say in the last 6 months she's had an accident less than 5 times. Many times she will wake in the night and get up to use the bathroom too... Good luck! Oh and we ALWAYS make sure she pees before bed, even if she says she doesn't have to, if she tries, she always does =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• not nessasarly depends on how the child is if they like diapers don't like diapers or what not. My 2 year old has been potty trained since she was about 22 or 21 months old and once she was trained at home we would go out places and I would put her in eaither a diaper or a pullup and she would keep dry we would stay out all day (at this point she woulsn't use public bathrooms yet) we could stay out all day and she would stay dry the minute we get home I put her on the potty she would go. Even now she had diarehha a few weeks ago so I put her in a diaper she would take the diaper off to go to the potty she wouldn't go in the diaper if she could help it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You an try waking him up every night to take him to the bathroom until he gets used to doing it on his own or until his body is used to holding it until the morning. I would also use pull ups. Lots of kids have this problem. Its a pain in the butt but it happens. I believe I was like 12 when I completley stopped wetting the bed,lol. And that is rather embarressing to admit! But its true. I would dream I was actually using the bathroom when in reality...I never left my bed,lol. Also, my ex husbands daughter was also 12 when she finally stopped.
    Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I kept mine in diapers til they stayed dry multiple nights in a row. At that point we'd put a panty on for bed. If they wet the bed more than 3 nights in a row, it was back to diapers til they were dry again. We only had to go back to diapers once before they "got it". I plan to do the same thing with my last potty trainer - he does well through the day, but needs his diaper at night yet. No pullups here, just diapers, and we had no problems with confusion.
    Anonymous

• I am here to say kids are SO different in their abilities to hold it through the night, because we're seeing this first-hand right now! My first daughter has been day trained for a year and three months now. She soaked through her pull-up last night. My second daughter is only 17 months old, has been sitting on the potty from time to time for the past couple of months, has just moved to undies this week, and she stays dry all night. With our older child, we tried waking her at times in the night, but it had no effect (except on her sleep and ours), so we decided to just wait until she either starts getting up on her own to go (which she finally did for the first time last week -- but it still didn't keep her dry through the night), or until she grows out of it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• this is whati did with dd she was day time potty train around her 2 nd bday. then one day| when she was around 27 mts i decided to not put on a pull up. she had gone a month with out peeing a night. so i put her in undies. she did pee on the bed. but it was my
    faukt i didnt take her to pee before bed. and after that night she had no accidents unless i forget to remind to go pee. in 10 mts she has had 5 accidents.

piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010