Why are cashier's at grocery stores

so rude when you don't have enough money when the total amount goes over the limit? I hate when I go over the limit and I have to take things back and they always seem to huff about it. I feel like Debra Winger's character from Terms of Endearment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No cashier should be rude to the customer for any reason. We all know this, but it is bothersome to 'delete' items. It depends on the cash register, but some it's rather easy to do and others it's a complicated process. With codes and what-not to type in before you can delete. Then ontop of that they have to find a place to put the item that you're returning. There isn't much room at the cashier desk, so it can become quite crowded with left behind items. If it's parishable then they have to call grocery to come get the item, which can take forever sometimes, since nobody wants to walk all the way to the front to get an item. Especially if they're busy stocking shelves or have a lot of customers.

I've worked in many retail positions, mostly as cashier, and it can drain on you. No cashier should be rude, cold, distant, or any of the sort to a customer though. However, it is bothersome to 'delete' items.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• because it creates more work for them as far as deleting the items then having to go put it all back on the shelves.

here's an idea to keep this from happening:
    make a grocery list! know what you have to spend FIRST then shop accordingly! Then you don't have to feel like an idiot and the cashier doesn't have extra work because you messed up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i used to be a cashier at walmart.
    frankly it didnt bother me. cause we just had a big cart we put everything in and someone else would take the stuff back.
    it did bother me a little bit when say you want to put back a pack of chicken. and if i dont have time to take it back right then and there, the chicken would go bad and had to be tossed. there is a lot of wasted food. and it makes me sad.
    but i understand that sometimes you got a limit you just dont want to go over.
    or maybe said cashier is having a bad day.
    i d k
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• if you think you may go over your limit then you should tell them to not let you go over that amount
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• a lot of people seem to not know how to count as they go so they end up with more than they can afford and there is VERY LITTLE room to keep the stuff you put back at our register-and considering we stand there for two hours and take stuff back from countless people, it can get annoying because we end up with piles of stuff we then have to go sort out and whatnot, and if it is cold stuff and it sits at the register for mroe than a few mins they have to throw it out, which is SO INCREDIBLY wasteful...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• In the future .. To avoid going over your limit. Calculate what you put into your basket, so that you know before you get to checkout that you're not over your limit. It'll save you and the cashier a lot of headache.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• How about adding up what you have & deciding what to put back BEFORE your in line? What a concept!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• like Jazz said, I add things up in my head, rounding items up so if it's like $3.29, I just count it as $4 to make the math simple.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Idk, I've had cashiers that are very understanding about it. I've only had it happen a couple of times. Once, when I left my debit card on the kitchen counter at home and didn't quite have enough cash, and once when my husband paid a large bill without telling me, leaving less on out debit card than I thought. Both times the cashier was understanding. But it happens a lot at our neighborhood store. There are a lot of lower income people that shop there, and sometimes they are a little short and have to put something back. No employee should be rude about it , ever. It's called customer service. If they don't like their job and serving the customer, then they need to look elsewhere for a job, IMO.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It's true that cashiers should not be rude about it, but it can be annoying. Non-wanted products pile the back of our register that the coordinators or managers are too slow in removing, and if you remove too many already scanned items many times the register locks and you have to flash your light and wait anywhere from a minute to 5 or 10 minutes for the manager to do an override. I usualy saw those times as a break. But getting annoyed at having to return items to the shelf doesn't wash. They generally have someone sort and return the "reshops" to the store, not the cashier.

And well, to the other person who said "stand there for 2 hours" I never heard of such a short shift....try standing there for 8 hours, your back aching, your feet aching, being starving and exhuasted and just wanting to go home. I worked as a cashier for years and had to leave because it herniated a disc in my back and I couldn't take it anymore
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2010