He wants to drink nothing but milk...

i'm not necessarily "concerned" but I would like some advice. My son is 22 months old and he is addicted to milk. He wants refill after refill. he woke up 6am today and was begging for some milk. I kept encouraging him to drink the water he had, but he threw a fit. He did eventually give in and drink some water...by that time it was a decent hour to make breakfast and he got his milk lol. But what else can I do? is it ok to give him that much milk? I'm talkin like 2-3 refills each time he gets a cup. I also offer foods high in calcium to make up for the milk, but he drinks enough to cover the daily recommendations. Like this morning, should I just let him throw the fit till he gives in and drinks water? I'd hate to use that method every time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Too much milk is not good for a child, or anyone else. There should be a limit - ask your pediatrician for guidelines. My 15 month old just went to the dr - they asked how much milk, I told them 16 oz and they thought that was a good amount. I think a cup of milk (8 oz)/meal should be more than adequate. We always do water in between meals or after a cup of milk at mealtimes. There's just no question, no argument. My oldest used to get quite mad when I wouldn't give in, but since I was consistent he learned that there was no use in fussing.
    Drinking too much, of anything, can keep them from eating foods that they need to meet their nutritional requirements.

Answer by missanc at 11:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My son was horrible about drinking milk all the time when he was around that age. I finally just stopped giving it to him so often and just gave him water. He threw the most massive tantrums over it but I did not give in. He eventually got over it and drank the water instead. He is now 4 and I have no problems getting him to drink water, its actually what he drinks all day long except a glass of milk in the morning and glass at dinner. He very rarely even gets juice and when he does get it I dilute it. Good luck!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Is he eating or filling up on milk?
    Most people I know offer food first, with water, and the child can have his milk after the meal.

When my youngest went through a phase like you describe I just wouldn't refill the milk. He got 24 oz a day and if he was still thirsty he got water. Yeah, he threw a few fits, but that stopped after a few days when he learned that I wasn't giving in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• op here! no he isnt filling up on milk, he eats his meals just fine. He is going through a fickle stage with food, but it' not milk related, just toddler-related hahaha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My DD is that way, we give her a smaller cup, and then give her a different cup for water, so she knows when is milk time and when is water or juice time. Give 2 refills and say all gone no more when he finishes. He might throw a fit for a week but that is about as long as that will last if you are firm and don't give in.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I say make him throw that fit and drink water. When he does have milk, no refills - if he needs more to drink he can drink water. 2-3 glasses/cups is more than enough in one day - especially if he's getting a lot of other calcium rich/enriched foods too. You are the parent, do NOT let him run all over you about milk or you'll have bigger problems as he gets older.
    Anonymous

• "I say make him throw that fit and drink water. "

I had to do this with my first and water; I knew better with my second. My children now prefer water and serve themselves from the fridge dispensers.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Well, my daughter went through a phase like that and I started watering down her milk, so she was still getting milk, but also getting water. Now she only gets milk with breakfast and before bed and water the rest of the day. She likes her water with ice cubes, so maybe try that.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You should be concerned. Too much dairy weakens the immune system, leaches important nutrients from the body, and has calories that should be devoted to other nutritions foods. you need to get your son drinking water.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2010