Trying to rid my house of clutter.

I am trying to get the clutter out of my house. The usual to many toys, clothes that do not fit, other junk that either we or someone else brings to your house thinking it will be usefull, but ends up only taking up room. I feel like the whole house is just filled with clutter. To top it off my oldest daughter is having a Birthday this week which means more toys and junk half of which she will not play with. Is there a nice or polite way to ask family to maybe bring her gift certificates to a Mcdonalds and write that she gets a dinner out with them, or something along those lines where she can have time with them one on one (which she would absolutly love) instead of a toy or some other clutter that will just help add to the mess we have? I do love that my family is willing to even give gifts don't get me wrong. We just really have no more room.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am BIG into a few easy, basic, memorable rules

If you haven't worn it in 12 months, it's GONE

If you haven't used it/played w/ it/picked it up/touched it/aknowledged it for 6, it's gone.

And we do a 2 for 1 policy for toys.... if they get 2 new toys for whatever reason, 1 old thing must go. Usually not hard, something is broken, eating batteries too quickly, no longer age appropriate, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think gift cards to her favorite store or a dinner out is a great idea. If you want to rid yourself of clutter look up your local FreeCycle Group :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• just simply put "gift cards or IOU for dinner please, we don't need more stuff!" LOL

tip for decluttering -
    toys - if its broken or missing something TOSS IT
    clothes - if it hasn't been worn in the past year TOSS IT
    other junk - if you haven't used it in the past 6 months TOSS IT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It's a wonderful idea!
    When my sons had their last birthday party we politely requested 'No Gifts'
    You could request gift cards, that a donation be made in her name, or just no gifts.
    You're the parent, it's up to you. Hopefully family will respect your wishes.
    Good luck with your decision.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 12:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i think time spent with birthday girl is a great gift idea!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• All I can say is I have an open enough relationship with my family and all I have to do is say she doesn't need any ________, but she could use ________ or would love to do __________ with you instead and they understand.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• goodI like it. How about a gift cert for a movie? No reason to give McDonald's all the business. Maybe you could theme the party "Time with (whatever her name is)" Each person bring a different gift cert (or IOU like the other poster mentioned) and it would be an adventure with her and whomever! Brilliant idea!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• birthday sweetpeaThen someone bring a calendar for her to mark the special days she gets to have with whoever gave her the gift cert/IOU. You could put stickers on it showing Food for Mcdonald's or a movie poster for a movie or an animal for a zoo trip or a golf club for miniature golf so she can see when she's going on her adventure! That way her birthday celebration lasts for more than one day. It could last all year!!!!!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Even money for a gym class (The Little Gym) or something like that, which lasts longer than the lure of a new toy would do. I'm sure if you pitch it just like you said, "_____ would really like a one-on-one day out with you or contribute to a class of her choice, so she could enjoy the gift for weeks" would go over just fine. You'll always have a fam member that thinks they have the perfect gift. Each toy she receives...get rid of two (2) and donate them for a special cause.
    kroche0608

Answer by kroche0608 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• To address clutter, especially in kids' rooms, although there are numerous ideas, which normally mean you have to sort into piles of "trash"/"keep"/"donate", I've heard some parents limit the kids to 5 toys a week. Any that they didn't play with at all or very much leave the house. Do this each week, til the toys have all been "filtered", but be sure they have a good organizational system to store the stuff they keep. Take a picture of the different types of items so they can put things away themselves if they're small. The stuff you all decide to get rid of can go in a family garage sale, where each kids has a different colored sticker on their stuff, and they get to keep the money to either donate to a cause, tithe 10% to their sunday school class, then buy a toy or save. A friend of mine said their kids have "wish lists" for 30 days and if the toy is still on there after 30 days, they can use their money to purchase it
    kroche0608

Answer by kroche0608 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010