Are there certain birthdays you make a bigger deal than others?

We never had big parties when I was a kid, and I haven't really done any big parties for any of my kids. I just read in another question "you only turn 13 once". My oldest DD turned 13 last summer and I took her out for lunch and a movie without her younger brother and sister. Should I be making a bigger deal out of birthdays...or at least certain birthdays?

I know a lot of people make a big deal about the 1st birthday and the "sweet 16", but what birthdays are big ones for your family? How do you celebrate the big ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I only remember having one birthday party when I was a kid and I turned 5,lol. Other than that, I used to just get money and presents and be sent on my way with a birthday hug. I sometimes had wished for a party when I was a kid..but it just was never that big a deal, I guess.
    Now that I have my own...I do have birthday parties for them. Bigger parties I have are for ages 1,5,...and soon to be 10 :) and I will do for 13,16 and 18,21,25,30...God willing...even 40 haha.
    I love throwing bday parties for my kiddos..and its nice to get family together too. However...I STILL do not parties for my own bday :( lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I never got parties for my birthdays. My kids are still young but every year we have a small cookout with family to celebrate their birthday. No one birthday is anymore special than another. Each year that you've lived deserves to be celebrated in some way. Just my opinion.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 11:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think that every birthday is important it is the one day a year that it gets to be all about that person, everybody deserves a special day. I spend all of my bdays grounded from 11 on so my parents wouldn't have to celebrate them, they would make something up that I did wrong just in time every year, so I am not allowing that with my kids, they are special to me and I want to show them that. I think that 13, 16, 18, and 21 are huge deal ones that get more attention but every year should be a big deal, that was the day they blessed you entering your life.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i find 13 a huge deal.... you're a TEEN!!!!!!!!!!

Golden bday, sweet 16....

I consider 5 pretty neat too, a "whole hand"!

I don't think their specialness should affect their price tag though.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• We don't really do kid related birthday parties. We invite a few of their friends over, and a bunch of the family friends and just sort of make it a back yard BBQ for adults and kids together. My son doesn't really like birthday parties for himself (he has anxiety issues that make it hard for him to be in the lime-light), but my daughter revels in the attention, and is like me-she enjoys having people over to visit and have fun.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My parents did a special birthday party for us 16 and 21, but we had a party every year. At 16 we received a diamond tennis bracelet, and 21 we get a trip to anywhere in the U.S. for 7 days. The sweet 16 party is a huge to do with anywhere from 40-100 guests. My sister's birthday is in December, so she did a ski/snowmobile weekend with a bunch of her friends, some of my friends, and many relatives. On my birthday we did a lake party, where we had several boats and jet skis and a huge picnic. When it got dark 10 of my friends went back to my parent's house and did a big bon fire and made s'mores and watched movies and spent the night.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• 21 is a formal dinner with our family, and our boyfriend. For me it was a "you are now an adult" evening. My dad brought a silly little princess crown and earrings to the dinner and made me wear it at dessert to have me remember that I am still his little "princess" even though I am now grown up.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• No. I do remember that I had a Birthday Party when I was 12. But even when I turned 50, it was no big deal. I am not too fond of having birthdays. . I would rather celebrate someone else's Birthday.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Nope never had big deal parties for certain ages i was. I had normal Birthday parties with themed decor and as i got older we would go to dinner at nice fancy places because thats what my family likes. The older i got the more i didnt want a party and just wanted money to buy whatever i wanted and thats what i got. We also give each other gift cards and money for other peoples birthdays. I dont do parties for my kids and probably never will. I dont like wasting money on decor and stuff because we dont know anyone around here and its very very common if it is your birthday, the parents or mom brings cupcakes or a small cake for the kids class in school but thats it. My husband and i are more of a cake and ice cream type people for birthdays. plus my kids are 5 and 3. i dont want to go all out for it. we let them pick a toy, buy them clothes and thats it.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 12:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010