Any one else have a problem with your husbands spending??

I just checked our online bank account..
He's not going out and spending hundreds of dollars. He's Nickel and Diming us to death!
$10 at Subway
$5 at 7-11
$20 at Safeway
$7 at Arco Gas
and that's just in one day! I'm so frustrated!! I work so hard to budget our money and clip coupons when we grocery shop and for what?? Grrr!

((We both work, we have a joint account, we have sharecheck cards we share our money, we have been for 7 years))

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I also have a spender! I get pissed when he says "the Snap On guy was in today" I'm like great what crap did you buy. The little stuff really adds up here I am giving up coffee and lunches and here is he is picking up luch for other people. He knows better than to say anything if I get something extra at Target once in a blue moon.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• that's my husband!!!

and it totally sucks right now because of issues, I can't put money in the bank, and he sees cash, he thinks he can spend it! Like you said, nothing big but DAMN! it really adds up at the end of the week!

"but it was only $7 honey!" dear, multiply $7 X 7 days a week.... "Oh :("

When we were using the bank account/card, it was the same. I eventually had to just give him like a $20 and say (and stick to it!) that it was all he was getting for the week if he wanted the power to be on or us to have water.
    Anonymous

• Have you talked to him about it? My husband and I have a budget and he knows how much he "gets" per week for lunches at work - he can spend it however he wants, but once it's gone, it's gone. We also include fuel expenses in our budget, which occasionally we may have to go over if we're making extra trips but we're both in agreement on that.

Answer by missanc at 12:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Omg, if that was all my husband spent, I'd be shocked, lol. I just checked our account, and he just bought an $900 motor scooter (wtf, a scooter? can we say nerd?), LOL. He also bought a package of Omaha steaks for $85. That was just today. I can't complain, though, bc he makes the money, and I spend more than he does usually, and he never complains. Actually, I'm waiting for my son to finish pooping his diaper so that I can change it, then we're going shopping, haha. Not much else to do in this ridiculously sucky weather, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• dh doesnt do it like that. one day he'll just go off and buy a pair of $100 shoes and then the next week will spend $300 on a couple of pairs of pants and a shirt. it makes me want to strangle him. He'll just tell me, but I dont do that often, i work hard i deserve to spend a little on myself. but that's not a little, my shoes are never mor than 50 and i can get alot mor for $300.
    Anonymous

• I do wanna add, though...it isn't really fair of him to do that if you're clipping coupons and budgeting. It counteracts the efforts you're making, and I'd let him know!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My ex's spending is one of the reasons he is now my ex. He hasnt learned either. He recently lost a house to the bank. Anyway, yeah when we were together I'd give him a $100 & by thurs. he'd be broke. I'd say "What did you spend it on?" And he just couldn't' tell me..not that he was hiding it but he really didnt realize he wasted money that badly. And sure wasnt spending it on gas for the car..he would drive his car to E & then l'd get up the next day & see he took my car (that was full of gas) & left me with the empty car to go fill up!
    He was ruining us financially by his stupid spending. And he refused to believe the problem was him. He just couldn't see it. I say, show your husband the statements & go over where he is spending & why & see if you can work together on it. Explain that all those little things add up & you need to be in agreement on a budget. Hope he listens to you. Money problems is a #1 cause of divorce.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my DH is the same way.

I mean, he is very responsible with our bills and making sure we have everything we need, but we can't seem to save a dime!

Anonymous

• OP here- Thanks for all the wonderful answers, I feel better knowing I'm not alone. Yes, I've talked to him about. We've also tried a set amount on Mondays for junk food and extras for the week but it never sticks. He ends up using his card all over the place after a few days. I'm glad he's not buying a $900 scooter! Yikes! Or $300 on clothes! We have a rule that if either of spends more than $50 while out and about in our day (Not me paying bills) we have to tell each other and justify it. lol. Sounds lame, but we're SUPPOSED to be trying to save!!
    Anonymous

• We both work and have separate accounts. We have divided the monthly bills and we each are responsible for paying those first. What is left over is our own to spend or save as we wish. If there is a big ticket item we need we discuss who/how much each one pays.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 12:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2010