would love to hear birth stories from moms who had a birth place an hour or so away

this is my 2nd child.

it takes about an hour and 15 minutes to get to the hospital i have chosen to go to for the birth.

my first labor was about 8 hours after it was obvious it was really labor. then the hospital was 10 minutes away.

we will be leaving for the hospital AFTER we have someone to care for our child, and AFTER my husband gets home from work which could take up to 2 hours.

when did you decide to head to the hospital? did you have a lot of "false alarms" and end up going home? was it super uncomfortable to labor in the car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my hospital is like right accross the street. wish i could help you out. lol
    Anonymous

• I live WAY out in the boonies, and it takes just under an hour to get to the hospital. I went into labor about at 2 PM, once my contractions starting getting closer I got stuff ready, etc. We left the house at 9 p, got checked in around 10:30, hooked me up to machines, decided to keep me, and I didn't have her until 2 pm the next day! (That was my first though). It really depends on your body! Is there somewhere closer to the hospital you could stay while waiting?
    Anonymous

• For all 3 of mine the drive was about an hour long. Then we had to drop the kids off with friends which added more time into it. My 1st labor was the only time I went and was sent home they were changing shifts and did not check me, sent me home we made it home turned around and went right back and I was 6cm. That was very frustrating. The second time around I only made it to the hospital with about 15 minutes to spare. It was not ideal. I had everything ready to go but getting the kids our the door and then getting to the hospital and not really getting checked in was hectic and not great. Had we lived closer we would have been there earlier but overall 2 hours of labor is not exactly normal. The third time around was my ideal labor we made it with plenty of time. Laboring for me in the car was miserable I could not find a comfortable position and I have never been so critical of my husbands driving in my life.
    Anonymous

• My oldest daughter was considered high risk so we had to go to the hospital 1-1/2 hours away. She went into labor and woke me up about 1 a.m. It was pouring down rain. I mean so bad we almost had to pull over a few times. My son drove and my youngest dd was in the passenger seat with the watch timing contractions while other dd and I were in the back seat. When I'm stressed I get funny. I was cracking up. Pregnant dd was laughing so hard she wanted to stop to pee but son wouldn't stop. He was driving like a bat out of hell ....at 20 miles per hour bc of the rain but his concentration was like he was flying a space vehicle at warp speed! lol OMG it was so funny. The Labor & Delivery folks said when the pains last over 60 seconds at a time then come in. That is what we did and there was plenty of time to get there and even wait but then again that was her first child.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my one and only, The hospital I chose was about an hour and fifteeen minute away. I never had false alarms or anything. I was dialated to a one about two weeks before, then 2 the next week. My due date passed on a Sat. I had an appointment for that Monday. After I had gotten up and got showered, put on make-up and was fixing my hair, my back felt weird. This was at 12:00. So, I sat down for a sec. Then, got started again and my back felt weird again. I thought maybe this was labor starting. So, I called my mom at work, she was supposed to leave at 12:30 to come with me to the doc. I always had someone with me for the trips, no one wanted me going alone. LOL I told my mom and she said it soulded like it might be, so , she left then. We drove and I just concentrated on relaxing and not letting it get to me. The car wasn't so bad for me. When I got there, the doc checked, said I was in labor and -CONT-
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• wel.. my first one i waited until the contractions were a 2 min apart, but if i knew u would still b waiting forever laying on ur back i would of stayed home longer with my next kids thats what i did when i got to the hospital the other 2 were deliver in about 15 min. i think u know when they are not false alarms the contractions get stronger and more frequent. (to me) fasle ones come like at the same pain levels ..idk just my opinion. and labor in the car to me wasnt bad at all at least u kinnda get to scrunch up and bear it not like in the hospital bed were u have to just lay there.
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• -CONT- and that I was 4/5cm. He admitted me and I gave birth a 7:01pm. So, 7 hours total. He also for whatever reason I'll never know, broke my water and gave me pitocin. I didn't get an epi, although, with back labor and pit, I understand the want. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• with my first, the hospital was 7 minutes away. I labored @ home for about 35 hours, and was at the hospital no more than 20 minutes before she was born.
    2nd, hospital was about 45 minutes away, I had already been in labor for about 38 hours, and decided to go to the mall and walk laps until I was ready to go to the hospital (it was right across the street), I finally went in, got situated, and had ds about an hour later. His labor was about 42 hours.
    3rd, I labored 8 days, my MW checked me 4 times, I went in, got sent home (there were abuse factors involved with my ex, and my labor just completely STOPPED when he started his BS.), only to labor at home for another 6 hours and then make a mad dash @ 3am to the birth center which was 90 minutes away. I almost had him in the car. My MW says as I climb into the tub "Wow! He's got a lot of hair!" lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i'm OP.

thanks ladies! there really isn't anywhere for me to stay there, other than that i have considered renting a hotel room if i get there and my labor doesn't seem to be very far along. IF we have the money. i'm not going to be in a hospital where i have to stay laying down so i'm not worried about that =) i'll be able to move around freely once i get there, but in the car, my movement will of course be restricted. thanks again all! and would love to hear more
    Anonymous

• Answered at 12:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 by: * ObbyDobbie
    I almost had him in the car.

i am kind of preparing for that possibility. lol. just reading up on what to have/do if your baby is born in the car. it's pretty easy really. just do what comes natural, but then have dry warm towels to put baby in, and a bucket for the placenta!! :)

-OP
    Anonymous