Is there any good tips to get a 2 year old to speak clearer?

My 2 year old is very smart but seems to be having alot of problems puttin sentances together. She can talk but doesnt use words like a and is. she will mainly just show me what she wants in anouther way. I have a speech therepist coming next week but i didnt know if there was somthing i could be doin g at home that im not. I repeat EVERYTHING a million times and we use flashcards and try to break the words down even more and nothing is helping, any advice??

DasiaV24

Asked by DasiaV24 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sign language
    Anonymous

• Ask your speech therapist for tips on how to help your child speak more clearly.
    Anonymous

• Never repeat a word as she says it, always look her in the face when you speak to her (she can visualize word formation), and do not over-correct. Do not tell her she is wrong, or this is how you say it, just repeat to her clearly whatever she said that was wrong. It will not make an over night change, be patient.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• ObbyDobbie is right. Don't tell her she is wrong. Just say it properly right after she says it. My son used to say baid instead of bird. My mom always said bird right after he said baid. One day, they went back and forth, baid, bird, baid, bird...and my said BIRD, my son said ERNIE. I guess it sounded like Bert to him. LOL he spoke fairly well and clear early on, because i mainly talked to him like an adult and right face to face and didn't correct but, just reenforced the proper way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• She's 2. It will come in time. Keep speaking properly to her and eventually she will pick it up.
    Anonymous

• You have to remember she is two and only been talking for a very short time.  Talking a lot so she hears what you are saying. When she asks for something but not sure how to say it and points to it. Say what it is and encourage her to repeat you. I learned that when my DD was in speech therapy. You need to give her time to learn those extra  words. That comes in time.

Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You should really work on your grammar first.
    Anonymous