Should I tell the truth about the Tooth Fairy?

Forget Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - I think I'm the worst Tooth Fairy ever! Last night I forgot to put money under my daughter's pillow AGAIN. In our house, the Tooth Fairy has forgotten and left "Oops! I'm sorry I forgot I" notes so many times I think my daughters think the TF is a total flake. Why do parents start this silly little game in the first place? Should I 'fess up and tell my 8-y.o. the truth? Will this ruin it for her younger sister (who still has a mouth full of baby teeth)? How does it work in your house?
P.S. Here's a link to the movie, in case you didn't know what I was talking about: http://www.toothfairy-movie.com/

Michellesays

Asked by Michellesays at 12:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is no Tooth Fairy at our house, but I still give my children a dollar for each tooth! It is a way to celebrate the fact that they are growing up...and makes the loss not so scary. Then we go to the store together so they can spend their dollar , and that is exciting, too! I believe it is unwise to lie to children. Even when we read fairytales, I tell them that this story is a made-up story; it is not real. When we read the Bible, I make it a point to tell them this IS real; this really happened. Children need to know they can trust you at all times, with everything. This keeps communication open and your relationship with them on the up-and-up.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 3:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• well she is 8 so i kinda figured it out at 8yrs old on my own my mom never come out and told me i just knew it was a silly game. But if you do tell her just tell her not to tell her little sister b/c its just fun when your little to think there is a tooth fairy that gives you a dollar for you tooth lol
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I do all the pretend kid things because it is fun and I know I enjoyed it. My son did too. I usually keep it up until he stops me and say, "Geez MOM, I know it's fake and you are doing it." LOL. That's how it works in my house.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Sorry, I never insulted my children with such nonsense. I figured if they knew I lied about Santa and TF and Easter Bunny then they'd think Jesus was another made up story. I let them know the spirit of Christmas but the rest of it is just silly to me.
    Anonymous

• When I forget, I just explain that the Tooth Fairy is really busy and has a lot of kids to visit. Some nights she just can't get to everyone, but she will come the next night!
    Anonymous

• I never trusted my parents again after the trauma of finding out there was no Santa. I'm sure every time a child realizes you played them for a fool all in "fun" opens them up to thinking others in life will see them as saps and make them feel betrayed.
    Anonymous

• Wow, let's not let our kids be kids and enjoy the wonderment of silliness and fairytales. I never felt betrayed and neither did my son. He says he will do it for his kids. This stuff does not make them think Jesus isn't real, nor, does it cause them to feel foolish. Geez. We both enjoyed it when it was happening for us and loved dressing up onHalloween. Had Easter bunny bring us a basket filled with candy and treats. Valentines goodies from Cupid. Tooth fairy money, Gifts from Santa. My child feels bright and had the most wonderful healthy imagination. He was far from sad or betrayed or left feeling like a sap. If we followed any religion, he would too. He wouldn't have questioned it. Because he would know it wasn't me doing any of it. I feel sorry for your kids if they can't have a morsel of childhood magic.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• BradenIsMySon, We don't do the tooth fairy, because shockingly kids can be kids without being fed their fairy tales. They are pretty good at making up stuff on their own! If you have to make up the magic for your child, I feel sorry for them! My kids also have wonderful imaginations that they can feed for themselves, and do quite often. Having that stuff isn't wrong, some of us just choose differently.

Seriously, though ,OP your 8 year old probably knows. I wouldn't stress about it, and it'll make a funny story in a few years. Having the tooth fairy isn't going to scar her childhood, either. :) My parents forgot the money under my pillow a few times, but remembered to take the tooth. Ha ha! It is funny now. You could always enlist the 8 year old to help with the tooth fairy for the younger one so she'll keep it alive for her, if that's what you want. I bet she won't forget. She'd get a kick out of helping, too.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I know they can go without it. I was referring to the harshness of the ANON posts. They just seemed so hateful about it. So, in turn, I was snotty back. LOL Nothing against you if you don't, but, they way they worded it, it just made it seem like their kids didn't get any kind of stuff like that. Sorry to offend.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Nah, you have a good point, and you are right. My apologies to you. :)
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2010