Another example of bad religion, don't you agree?

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/02/kevin_and_elizabeth_schatz_rel.php

"The Schatz's homeschooled their nine children and grew their own food. Which would all be well and good if they weren't also followers of nutbag Tennessee evangelist Michael Pearl. His schtick is to teach parents to beat their children so they become more obedient to God and family.

Apparently their 7-year-old daughter Lydia was struggling with one of her homeschool lessons and she mispronounced a word. That might be expected since the girl's formative years were spent in Liberia. But the Schatz's decided that God wanted her beaten. So they did.

Police say Elizabeth held the girl down while Kevin beat her on the back with a plastic tube for hours. The torture caused massive tissue damage.

When Lydia stopped breathing, Elizabeth called 911. Medical workers resuscitated her at a nearby hospital. But Lydia died later Saturday morning. "

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Damn that is SICK. I hope they investigate those religious leaders as well as other members of that church. Would be nice if they beat the shit out of them in the same damn manner as the little girl. Grrrrr.......

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• that is awful!

Anonymous

• You know I try to refrain from using the word hate, I don't find many reasons to justify hating another, but I HATE abusive pricks that would use religion to justify harming children. FUCK THEM. I hope they rot in jail and their other children find loving homes in which they can truly thrive.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Wow! they should take the electric chair back out for them two!
    Anonymous

• They should investigate ALL of the other followers of this religious nutjob and rescue the other children who are being beaten like this!!
    Anonymous

• Ramen Kristi!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It's sickening that any one would choose to belong to a religion where their God asked them to beat their child... I understand the attitude of "spare the rod spoil the child" and take no issue with a parent spanking their child - I spank my own... But to BEAT a child with a POLE, is just sick. And what is worse that anyone's religion would expect them to do such things... Completely sick and twisted!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• This brings to mind something I've been trying to become a little more active in... Religious Restrictions for Adoption... Many states (mine included) require adoptive parents to prove that they are active in a church. Atheists, Pagans, Buddhists and anyone who isn't active (at least minorly) in a church or similar religious activity are bared from adopting. And the religious activity that the couple partakes in is "subject to approval" by the caseworker assigned to the case...

I HATE this law! To require someone to belong to this religion or that religion or that hold these beliefs or those beliefs just to care for a child that desperately needs it is APPALLING to me! However, in cases like this, where ones religious beliefs actually put their children in danger, maybe it's not such a bad idea...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• ugg...these are the kinda ppl that make me wish i believed in hell! whatever punishment they get is too lenient!

i hope their other children go to REAL parents, and not another set of nut jobs!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Michael and Debi Pearl's teachings are extremely dangerous. I feel terrible when I hear of people being misled by them.
    Anonymous