Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

scammed by LA fitness, how to get my money back?

my husband opened a gym membership at la fitness. he payed the initial fees in cash to one of the workers (about $150). now they have taken the initial fees out of our bank account, so they charged us twice. we've contacted the manager but that particular worker has moved to a diff branch. that worker was supposed to call back but hasnt. now they're saying there is nothing they can do to refund the money because he wasn't given a receipt. wth. we still havent been able to contact that particular worker. is there anything else we can do? we've called corporate and they said they'll conduct an investigation, but we're afraid they'll say the same thing, no receipt. we think he just pocketed the money because he was being unprofessional during the transaction. we're very angry that they're allowing their workers to behave this way, thieving from their clients. what can we do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • for future - keep receipts!

    you have absolutely no way to show you paid the cash! you're screwed!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • I would print out a copy of the bank statement and black out everything but the la fitness fees. March it up there and demand speaking with a manager. Also, tell them you would be spreading the word if they don't do anything. Makes me not want to sign up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • Cancel your membership.
    Tell your bank, and see if they'll work with you to get it back. Tell them they took it out without your permission. Banks are usually good about that and to them $150 is a small amount.
    Then go to the Gym and tell them you'll sit outside and tell everyone they're shady and rip people off. Stop people at the door and tell them what happened the manager wont stand for that for very long. =) We did this to a tanning salon that ripped me off, the ended up refunding me in like 15 minutes.
    Call the Gym, Call HR, call corporate and annoy them for answers. That's crap, they totally stole your money.

    Good luck!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • GO UP THERE, tell them you paid cash, (dont know how far you will get because you dont have a reciept! doesnt help you now, but you ALWAYS need reciepts)...other wise tell them you will call the BBB if they dont take action. Other than report them, theres not much you can do because you dont have proof you were double charged!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • OP : one of the other workers & a friend witnessed the transaction. shouldn't they have it on camera? la fitness hasn't been very helpful. it seems they just want to cover their ass. what ever happened to "the customer is always right". they might as well call us bold face liars. it's ridiculous. we're mostly angry because i'm due to have baby #3 in a few weeks & we were counting on that money to pay for some essentials that the new baby will need. if we don't get that refund, i don't know what we're going to do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • My question is how did they get your bank account number? Never give it out to someone. It's just opening a door for someone to raid your account.

    Answer by baconbits at 1:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • Yes they have cameras! March your pregnant tush in there and demand to see the tape. Where I work we have cameras that go back 60 days, they're on the computer so it's not a tape, but they can rewind and fast forward and stuff and you can click print screen and zoom and everything.
    Tell them you want to see the cameras, tell them you have witnesses, don't leave until something is done.

    Good luck! Let us know what happens!

    Answer by Malibustacy at 1:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • Also keep in mind that blaming LA Fitness when it isn't there fault won't solve anything. If you have the name of the employee who seems to have pocketed the initial cash paid then you have to take it up with him. Go to the other branch and tell him he has 3 business days to get a $150 postal money order to you or you will go to small claims court. I'm pretty sure he'll come up with the money quickly.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • I would make a phone call to your local news station i had a an issue kind of like yours most local news stations have a department that helps people out with things like this and the company will most likely refund your money to avoid the bad press also you can file a claim with the Better Business Bureau.


    Answer by dorsey3 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.