how to deal with blood stains on clothing - sorry, Tmi-but I

really need to know what others do- daughter just started her menstrual 6 mos. ago, heavy stains often on underwear- do they need to be soaked first, or can they just be put in regular wash? Is that unsanitary? Need to know how others deal with this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Definitely soak them first. I remember my mom soaking my underwear for days on end, replacing the water & cleaner daily, then washing them when the stain was gone. The earlier you catch it, the quicker & easier to get the stain out. I personally don't care anymore for myself - I have period underwear and I have underwear for the rest of the month - that way I don't stain any of my favorites or have to worry about soaking & whatnot - you could try that too, have her use just certain ones when she has her period. But it sounds like she may also need to be talked to about changing her pad/tampon more often, and/or using a higher absorbency of either or both, or if she's only using tampons, using liners/pads as backup.
    Anonymous

• I usually soak mine in COLD water, maybe with a little baking soda, before throwing them into the wash. Works for me.
    Anonymous

• Peroxide. Pour a little on the stain and let it soak in before you pitch her panties in the wash.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Pour a little peroxide on them. Let them sit. Rinse with cold water. Maybe scrub a little with some hand soap and cold water before washing. Do all of this asap, rather than letting them sit until laundry day.
    Anonymous

• Let me ask you this: How do YOU deal with blood stains? Are you saying in all the years of having a monthly, even after the heavy blood flow following delivery, you've not dealt with your bloody laundry? So what's the deal?
    Anonymous

• Underwear isn't expensive. Soak immediately in cold water and if it doesn't come out in the wash, throw them out. No it's not unsanitary..is YOUR menstrual blood unsanitary? To suggest that is kind of disturbing....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I have a bucket with cold water, laundry soap, and a bit of oxyclean that I soak them in until i do the laundry for the week. works great:)
    MrsSeptember

Answer by MrsSeptember at 8:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The ones that are stained, that won't come out, become my "period panties". That way I am not ruining other panties. I do the peroxide thing to.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 1:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• oxy stain cleaner works great no pre soak at all!
    naillady44

Answer by naillady44 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i soak mine right away. the only time i usely get blood on my underwear is at night. so when i get up to go to the bathroom i take a new pair in and i soak the old pair in the sink while i am cleaning myself up and then i get a bucket of cold water and put oxy clean in the bucket and soak it for a few hours and then throw it in with my wash later that day.
    ashmomoftwins

Answer by ashmomoftwins at 10:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2010