Exercising, Max Heart Rate

I have been exercising by walking and jogging on the treadmill. My heart rate reaches the 190s while Im jogging. But according to this chart, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png (and the one on the treadmill), my heart rate (for a 22 y/o) should be from the 140-160s. Am I doing something wrong? Is bringing my heart rate up so high dangerous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• im 22 yrs old too. if i go on the ellyptical or something like that, my heart rate usually goes in the 160's-170's but if i run on the tredmill, it usually goes up to the 190's, or i go really fast on the ellyptical for a long time, its goes up to 190's. i personally feel like the higher my heart rate, the more weight i might loose - but that might not be true, lol. your not doing something wrong, and i dont think its dangerous as long as you drink enough water, and if you ever dont feel good, like your going to pass out or something, you should definatly stop. but if you feel fine, then its okay.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Talk to your doctor. You max heart rate is actually, 220 minus your age. You are typically advised to exercise at 80% of your max heart rate, so that is where you are getting the lower numbers.
    My heart rate was going as high as 213, and I'm older then you. The doctor sent me to the cardiologist. The cardiologist did a stress test and said that although it was very high it was fine. The only way he would have been concerned would have been if a) there were changes in the EKG, or if my heart rate didn't return to normal after resting. So, it can be perfectly normal.
    It is probably a good idea to talk to your doctor.
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2010