trying to find things to do with my 1 year old

He doens't like to sit still!! who does right? but I am trying to find things to do with him to help with learning.. Any suggestions.. I read with him but he just wants to eat the book!! LOL tried flash cards to teach colors etc and same thing.. he just wants to eat the stuff!! I am a sahm so I am trying to do stuff with him so I don't feel so bad about not working... suggestions please! Thanks a million times in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• haha... sorry, this was funny... I never had a mouther child but I still have seen those ones that just want to shove it all in their mouth.. you just made me laugh, I have no advice but thanks for the laugh...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• He's only a year old - quit trying so hard, he doesn't need flashcards & all that "school" stuff til he's older. Just go about your normal day and tell him everything - "Oh look at that (color) car!" "Ooh, your (food) is (color) and there are (count) peices of it!" stuff like that. That's all they need, jsut point stuff out and tell him all about it.
    Anonymous

• Toss the flash cards! Stack blocks with him and encourage him to knock them down. While you stack them you can count out loud, use words like up, down , on top etc. talk about the blue block, put the red block on next etc. Walk (or run!) down the street with him and talk about the yellow flowers, the green leaves. Look! a red car! Putting him in the sandbox with a bucket, shovel, and a dump truck is VERY educational at this age. Babies and toddlers learn all about their world through exploration.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Instead of flash cards, you can paint (or use markers) different colors on a piece of poster board (the smaller sized ones) then use clear contact paper to laminate it to your wall. This way he can touch it without putting it in his mouth and you can point at the colors with him repeating what color they are.
    You can do this for shapes as well. I wouldn't expect him to "know" what they are at this age..but after awhile the repetition will kick in.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I have some letters you put on your fridge. They are from leap frog, They numbers go to 10, and the letters are color coded as in vowels are all red. even numbers are purple odds are orange, but the neat thing is you put them on this little box and they talk and sing, They numbers count up to that number you put in it, the letters sings and tells you the sounds it makes. My son loves messing with them. You can get the leap star version at target There are lots of fun edcucational toys.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IXKW3C/ref=asc_df_B002IXKW3C1041133?smid=APWHX68DAI0LZ&tag=dealtmp286824-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B002IXKW3C
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 2:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2010