were is the best place to shop for the best value and deals? (cheapest place?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Shopping

• For what? Clothes? Groceries? Household items?
    Anonymous

• Depends on what state, and what you're shopping for? Or online?
    Overstock.com is good for online. So is Amazon.
    Here in California Winnco and Food Maxx are best for groceries..
    Walmart is best for clothes and gifts.. Maybe Kmart if you find one that doesn't have regular drive bys... =)
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 1:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• im sorry for not giving more information. I live in ky :) and its for groceries
    Anonymous

• Well, the grocery stores I find my deals at aren't in KY, so I'm no help.
    Anonymous

• You can also find deals at sears, old navy, jc penney, etc if you just look for their sale racks. I get stuff their all the time for like 50-75% off and it's still in season, but because they have already moved the new spring stuff in, winter stuff is on the sale racks. Walmart has already moved their stuff to sale racks too... $8 boys pants and hoodies(what they had left anyway) I found a really nice flannel shirt for my oldest DS for $5 too. Just gotta hunt for it, but you can find deals.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Ohhh, for groceries... just check out your weekly ads and clip coupons and use those with the sale prices. Shop whichever store is the chepest... And If there are great prices at two local stores, it may be worth it to go to one store one day and pick up a few things and the next day pick up a few things at the other store, just so you can get the best deals.
    (and sorry again, I didn't read that you were talking about groceries)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Here are my best suggestions for saving at the grocery store: Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home. This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)
    Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!
    Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.
    Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.
    Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.
    Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.
    Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!
    cont

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2010