What would you do if your teen tells you that their teacher says to smoke pot?

My son (who is 17) comes home from school and mention that his teacher did a whole lecture about Smoking cigs vs smoking pot. He told the kids that smoking pot is good for them that they all should try it at least once. I agree its better then smoking cigs, but I would rather that the kids don't smoke anything at all. So would you complain about it or just leave it alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd go straight to the school board. That's just wrong.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm...I would talk to the teacher and hear what he has to say for himself. A lot of times kids only hear part of the message and miss the point of the lesson. Talk to the teacher and make sure that is what he was saying and this isn't just a case of selective listening.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think I would be going to the school board.
    Anonymous

• if the teacher says they should try it.. it should be reported to the school board. but if he stated he's done it, advice students not to try it.. and a good teacher, i'ld leave it alone..

talk to the teacher first before reporting it.. my brother always tried everything to get the teachers in trouble because 'they're out to get him'
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would be all over that so fast it would make that teacher's head spin. I might have to send my kid in with a tape recorder first to make sure that everything was fully understood. But I've done it before. I got my 8th grade science teacher fired. She was terrible. I contributed to one of my high school teachers deciding to go into another field. At least her technical was good, but her ablity to interact with teenagers was pathetic. I would not just sweep it under the rug. And I wouldn't give the teacher a chance to change his story. I would tape him.
    Anonymous

• I would calmly and without accusation speak to the teacher first. Kids definitely have a way of twisting what was actually said.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would just laugh...really...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would probably say "I knew there was a reason I liked so & so"...... lol

I'm the mom of a 17 year old as well. And I honestly do not care what any of his teachers do on their off time. What they do in their private lives is not my business. I wouldn't care if a teacher drank on their off time, I woudln't care if a teacher smoked pot on their off time. It's just not an issue or big deal to me.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I really doubt this is true. What teacher in their right mind would risk their careers to lecture about their love of pot? I would contact the school but take what your kid is saying for what it is...the word of a 17 year old boy....not very reliable sometimes....
    Anonymous

• I would find out if it's true, or if his words were slightly skewed. Promoting illegal activity is wrong, so I'd have a problem if it was true.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2010