"Religion" vs "Christian"

I have seen several questions in regards to being called a Christian or the name of a religion. Example: Christian or Catholic. What is the definition of Christian? It should be your personal relationship with God. The name of a religion should not matter.

Asked by zachsmom900 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I see comments like "I used to be Catholic, but now I'm Christian". In my opinion it's either A) They use to be Catholic and are now what most would consider to be an non-denominational-Christian, thus they just say I'm a Christian, because they are non-denominational. or B) They're just plan ignorant and don't realize that Catholics ARE Christians.

I assume A and hope it's not B. :) (That's if they haven't already shown that they believe B to be true)

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• A definition on found on the net:

A believer in Christianity; An individual who seeks to live his or her life according to the principles and values taught by Jesus Christ; Of, like or relating to Christianity or Christians; Kind, charitable

Answer by BreakingFree at 12:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• here's another one form the net:

Christian - A person who believes in biblical person of Jesus who claimed to be God in flesh, died, and rose again from the grave and who lives according to the principles of Christ's teaching.

Answer by BreakingFree at 12:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• A christian is someone that believe Christ is the Son of God.

A Catholic is a Christian, A Lutheran is a Christian, A Presbyterian is a Christian, A Methodist is a Christian, An Episcopalian is a Christian, An Anglican is a Christian. A Baptist is a Christian (If I left anyone out I didn't mean too)

The labels, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, and all the rest is just to let people know what "type" of Christian they are, what their "exact" believes are.

Yes it's true that they are all Christians, but some say infants can be baptise other not, Some say BC (Birth Control) is okay others NOT etc.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• SAHMinIL took the words right out of my mouth (er...fingers!)

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I'm speaking of someone saying, "I used to be Catholic, but now I'm Christian."

Answer by zachsmom900 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I am Catholic and I have been told that I am not Christian. That is not correct. SAHMinIL is correct. To be a Christian you have to believe in Christ's life and death and live according to God's word.

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 1:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• actually there are many branches of christianity as catholic and Lutheran are somewhat related but mainly I think it is the practices of the religions But the following of Jesus Christ

• christians beleive in the Father, son and holy ghost as seperate entities: I don't think it's all about the following of JC, because they all do. As apossed to other religions.. just guessing here.

Answer by jsikapv at 4:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• This is how I believe Christians SHOULD live and act. "It is against my relationship to have a religion". As a Christian we aren't called to rituals and regulations, rather we are invited to an AWESOME relationship with Jesus Christ! He doesn't want us to get wrapped up in the do's and don'ts as many people see things, rather to just live out our passionate relationship with Him, which is a life like no other!!

Answer by jhg374 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2008