Is my teen a greedy brat?

I have a teen and a tween. My tween is starting puberty and got a blackhead on her nose. I re-stressed that she needs to make sure to wash her face every morning and night, to try not to touch her face, and to drink plenty of water to avoid getting pimples.
I thought my tween had it pretty good because she has a big sister to get tips and advice from.
I told my teen that is was time to get the zit cleaner and if she would help teach little sister how to use it, ect. Tween comes out of the bathroom with a red irritated face. Turns out that Teen gives tween anti-aging cream and wouldn't let her use cream cleanser that I buy for pimples.
I asked why, and teen says that the cream cleanser is hers and won't let her sister use it.
Am I missing something? Why can't she share? The cleanser comes out of a tube so there's no way it can be contaminated. Am I in the wrong for asking her to share, or is she just a greedy brat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It is really disheartening when your children don't get along like you want them to, but it's a part of them growing. Have you tried sitting down with your teen and telling her how it makes you feel and how much her little sister looks up to her? She may look at her as a nuisance instead of being honored that she has someone looking up to her. I wouldn't say she's a greedy brat unless she's kicking and screaming because all the others have a Coach purse and she doesn't. If she's not like that, then she's just being a normal teen that is annoyed by her little sister. It happens and they will grow closer as they get older. Good luck hun.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Sounds like a teen and a sibling to me. Why not just get them each there own.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'm with raeann11.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with Raeann11 as well. I was probably the same way when I was a teenager. Just by them each their own cream and avoid the unnecessary drama.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It's normal behaviour. Teenaged girls are evil. Buy them each their own and tell the tween to keep hers in her room until she needs it to avoid the "That's mine" fight.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'm going to go with greedy brat.
    Anonymous

• I do plan on buying my tween her own cleanser. I'm guessing it will take a few month's of her trying different cleansers to find the right one works for her, which is the same thing we did for my teen. The only reason I asked my teen to share is because it was bed time, and it's an hour long round trip ride to Wal mart.

Thank you ladies for saying that my teen is normal. I still feel really disappointed in her. She lied to me and pulled a crappy trick on her sister who was excited and looks up to her, and then got sassy about it. I even feel like not buying it for her anymore. Cream cleanser is a luxury and not a right, right?

I do agree with you guys, I will let it go. I guess I'm just bummed.

Anonymous

• It sounds normal, BUT that doesn't mean she should get away with it. If she gets away with acting like that she will just keep doing it.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like at that moment she was being a greedy brat, but most teens ARE greedy brats at times, lol. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I'd definitely talk to her about it and let her know that her behavior isn't acceptable.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Ah, Sibling Rivalry. The joys of having multiple children.
    Your oldest needs to be punished for what she did, because it was mean spirited and should not be tolerated. I know children don't get along all the time, but there is sibling rivalry and there is being just plain mean. That was just plain mean.
    And in our house, if it is in a community bathroom (the downstairs front bathroom and upstairs bathroom are community bathrooms) it is to be used by anyone. This goes for soap, shampoo, cleansers, and toothpaste tubes. Make-up - no, toothbrushes, towels, wash clothes no.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010