Is this an allergy to latex??

For a few years I havent been able to use the regular tape for bandages at the hospital or whatever. The reaction I'd have is that my skin would bubble up and get like a rash and bumpy and all kinds of irritation. Well I accidentally cut myself (long story) on my left breast last night and I used a few bandaids to cover it well and kind of hold the cut together, hoping for faster healing and less scarring. Well it starts hurting a little bit ago and I take the bandaids off. Chunks of skin are missing! The whole area is red and inflamed and swollen (not the cut though) right where the adhesive part of the bandaids were. It looks like my skin just ripped apart in one place. It hurts and looks icky. Do you know anything about this time of reaction? I googled it and a lot of sources point to latex allergies... What do you think?

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Health

• By the way, I did not rip the bandaids off nor is the cut infected.
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Sounds like it to me. My sister is that way. She has to stay away from gloves and bandaids. She has to get the latex free stuff.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Latex or the adhesive.. If you have had an physical exam or if you have had children and when the Dr examined you, if you didn't have a reaction to the gloves chances are it is the adhesive.. If you have ever had a reaction to the gloves, I would say latex.. Over the years most gloves have changes to latex powder free just for that reason..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• my skin does the same thing...but i think its just the adhesive in the bandaids that bothers me. You can be allergic to anything
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would think that it would be something in the adhesive, not the latex.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The reason I said Latex bc the adhesives have latex in them.

here is some info i pulled from wiki:

Type I
    The most serious and rare form, type I is an immediate and potentially life-threatening reaction, not unlike the severe reaction some people have to bee stings. Such reactions account for a significant proportion of perioperative anaphylactic reaction, especially in children with myelomeningocele.[citation needed]

Testing for type I natural rubber latex allergy is through blood testing, such as RAST (radioallergosorbent test) identifies what types of IgE proteins trigger allergic reactions. While the standard for allergen testing is the skin prick test, there is no approved skin testing reagent for latex in the United States,[citation needed] though some[specify] other countries do have approved skin testing reagents. Type I natural rubber latex allergy is caused from IgE (immune) mediated reactions to proteins found i
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Also known as allergic contact dermatitis. This involves a delayed skin rash that is similar to poison ivy with blistering and oozing of the skin (see urushiol-induced contact dermatitis). This type is caused by a naturally occurring latex protein.

Type IV reactions are caused by the chemicals used to process the rubber. Patch testing needs to be done to verify which type of chemical triggers the reaction. Once the chemical is identified, then the person can choose products that are not processed with that chemical. Both natural rubber and synthetic rubber products may cause type IV reactions.
    AmandaI1021

• I think some of that is missing. Oh well. that was some info after a search for latex allergy
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2010