How much is "too much"? (1st Bday parties)

What do you think? My sons first party: lots of balloons, streamers, and bubbles, matching napkins, plates, and cutlery, fancy cakes, a full meal, goody bags, a game similar to "pin the tail..." and we also put each kid in a giant bubble. Lots of fun-way more "overboard" then what the rest of our family was used to doing. For me, it wasn't overboard, but just perfect! The answers are going to differ, everyone has their own opinion about what works best for a first birthday party--what's overboard and what isn't. I want to hear what you think!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OMG the kid is 1 so it's more for the PARENTS than the kid !! We did a small dinner , a few decorations , and a nice cake . Now when they are older that's when you make bigger deals over birthday's .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• OMG!!! People need to chill out!! lol.. We go crazy for all holidays and birthdays. This last Christmas, my son got a bike, ps 3, skateboard, abuot a million action figures.. He got more than he even asked for.. And why? Because we can afford it and we love him and want him to grow up and share the same tradition that holidays are special and should be treated as such. If you can afford it and wnat to do it, then go ahead and don't worry about what other people think. My sons first birthday he had his party at the zoo and it cost well over 300 dollars for just the room but it was worth it. He won't remember it but we took pictures . :)
    Anonymous

• Considering the child is barely aware of what is going on at that age, you did it for you, not for him. If you have that amount of money to throw away on something your child won't remember at all, that is up to you. I prefer to put money in their education savings accounts and save the birthday parties for when they are old enough to enjoy, appreciate, and remember.
    Anonymous

• That would not be overboard to me if it was just a small family party, but if you invited everyone you know then it would be overboard. It doesn't really sound too extravagant, but if there were 50 people it would just be too much.
    Anonymous

• OP here--I think ALL birthdays are special and should be made into a "big deal". Maybe our children won't remember the early ones, but like you said, the parents and other guests surely will. Not only that but I think it would be nice knowing how much thought went into the birthday that "doesn't matter because he/she won't remember it". My children will see the pictures from their parties, see how important their parents thought it was, as well has how happy and much fun they had on that day (even though they don't remember themselves).
    Anonymous

• OP again--What is wrong in doing it "for the parents"? It's SUCH a special day for them too! Especially for momma!
    Anonymous

• Side note: We did not invite everyone we knew. We invited close family who my child knew well so as not to overwhelm HIM. Because, no, it was not all about us as parents, it was HIM! That's why we go all out, showing him how important and special that day is--even when he is too small to remember. I guess no else takes pictures that their children will see as they grow up?
    Anonymous

• OP....again--Why has no one answered the question? I'm glad to see you all think I went wayyy over, but you didn't tell me what you thought was appropriate for a first birthday? You like to do just cake? Cake and some decorations?
    Anonymous

• A kid isn't going to love you less just because you didn't spend $100's on a party .
    Anonymous

• op-I didn't say they would love you less. I said that they will get to see how important a parent thinks their childs birthday is even though "he won't remember it"

To me, a parent who does nothing or next to nothing (UNLESS THAT IS ALL THEY CAN AFFORD) for the SOLE PURPOSE of "He/She won't remember it" Is lazy and doesn't think it's that important.
    Anonymous