Is it worth the trouble?

We are renting a house. We plan to be here approx 2 years. Anything we paint of course would have to be painted back white. I would love to add some color to a few walls. So is it worth the trouble to paint when I know I'll have to paint it back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I personally hate painting so I would go with colorful art or hanging some fabric or something like that. Moving is hectic enough without having to worry about repainting everything. The question is how much do you mind the painting versus how much do you mind looking at the white walls for two years?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• That's really up to you. I like painting, so it wouldn't faze me. If you hate painting, then probably not.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Are you sure you have to paint it back? I never heard of that. Just do neutral colors, nothing too crazy. Ask your landlord. He probably paints it between renters, not you,
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Whether or not it's worth it is very subjective...only you know what's worth it to you.

I probably would do it, because I don't mind a bit of hard work or a project now and then...
    Anonymous

• OP here - It's rented through Century 21 and it was made clear that the walls must be white and a very specific glossy white.
    Anonymous

• I personally would. I'm hoping to upgrade the living room and kitchen in our soon- there is iridescent pink wallpaper in the living room. we're working on our 3rd paint project im the last 6 months, and installing new flooring... I couldn't live with blank walls. It really isn't all that much work or money to paint. 2 years is a long while to live with blank walls.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My friend was living in an apartment where they weren't allowed to paint the walls at all so they just took some border paper and stapled it to the wall vertically every couple of feet. It really broke up the white.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 3:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Are you even allowed to paint? Some places won't let you, especially if they want it kept specific colors, so I'd check & be sure first. Even if you were, I wouldn't do it for a short-term rental of only 2 years, because it isn't really worth the hassle; Painting the rooms opens up the opportunity for the rental company to withold your deposit by saying you didn't put it back right. If you want to add color to your new place, I would do it with window coverings, carpets and other accessories that you can remove.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2010