How much sleep should a 5 1/2 year old get each day

My dd is 5 1/2 and still requires a lot of sleep. Her bedtime is 7:30 and she gets up at 6 (not without a fight though). She is in kindergarten so they still have rest time and she is falling asleep and sleeping for most of the afternoon at school. The school nurse called me yesterday because they could not get her to wake up for anything after sleeping for 2 hours.
Do you think this is to much sleep??

Hanaas_mommy

Asked by Hanaas_mommy at 3:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe have her nap when she gets home from school, but that sounds like a lot of sleep. Our 6 year old (had same bedtime and stuff last year), goes to bed at 8, and gets up voluntarily by 6:30 or 7 usually. There were a few days I'd have to wake him at the latest of 7:30, but that doesn't happen too often. On cranky days he would get a nap after school (only went half days) of about an hour or so..longer than that and he wouldn't go to sleep at night.

Maybe she's low in iron or not actually getting "quality sleep" at night. Check on her at night and see if she's really sleeping. Go see your doctor.
    Anonymous

• my daughter goes to bed at 730-8, and gets up between 7-730..shes in school from 830-230 and her schol does NOT offer naps..she hasnt napped since she was 1.5yrs old.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• forgot to add...she is also in kindergarten
    alexis_06

• as for napping after school that would not work as she is in all day kindergarten. We don't get home until after 4:30 and she goes to be at 7:30. She is a very sound sleeper and she sleeps all night long unless she needs to use the bathroom then she gets up and then goes right back to sleep. On the weekends if she naps she will sleep for at least 3 hours and there is no waking her up before she is ready.
    Hanaas_mommy

Answer by Hanaas_mommy at 3:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• sounds to me like she has a medical problem you should have her go to the Pedi and see if there isn't something else going on...Best of luck to you
    Mom4life1015

Answer by Mom4life1015 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• my son goes to be at 8 and is up between 6:30 and 7 for school (not with out a fight if it is 6:30) but he will sleep no later than 7:30.. no naps and he is in kindergarten and they do not offer naps he wouldn't use then if they did! lol
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The girls go to bed after10pm and are up by 8am, then sometimes rest in afternoon but may fall asleep in early evening, but Robbin that does sound like alot of sleep she is getting especially the sleeping at school that long, think I might take her to a DR to check it out and ask his opinion... Keep us posted
    maw_maw

Answer by maw_maw at 6:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• your 5 year old sleeps? i'm jealous. mine is in bed between 7-8, asleep sometime between then and 10, and up between 5:30-7. hasn't napped since 16 months.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Sounds like a lot to me. My first grader is in bed from 8pm - 6am and wakes without any trouble. He was the same in school last year and they DON'T get rest time here. I'm sure that sleep needs, much like many things, varies by child but according to www.kidshealth.org, a 5 yr old needs about 10-12 hrs. And babycenter.com says that it's 10 - 12.5 hours for that age. That is the total number of hours including naps. If she is still acting tired even after that much total sleep then you might want to have her checked out to rule out something like sleep apnea. (could also be something as simple as a dietary thing OR could just be her "normal")
    K.D.
    Anonymous