messy house

I'm currently living with my MIL because my DH and I hit a rough spot. But this house is always so dirty, it drives me crazy! I try and help, dishes, laundry, our rooms, and bathroom but the living room is a disaster, the kitchen has the groceries just laying out because the cabinets have papers and books and everything else. The closets are overflowing with crap they dont use, I just feel like I can't do anything to clean this place up. It drives me nuts. My son found markers everywhere, woodglue was in his room and he got it everywhere, he got into my mother in laws medicine (luckily didn't eat any). Its ridiculous.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• It's not your house, so tread lightly. DO talk to them about the medications and unsafe substances left out. That's a matter of life and death.

How is it that you're with the in-laws rather than hubby?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• be happy they opened their messy home to you,because guess what? they didnt have to.clean it all your self if it bugs you that much.i dont like messy houses myself but hey they were kind to you even if they are messy people.
    Anonymous

• yuck...i'd leave.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I guess it's better than living in your car. Be grateful for what you have. Let this be a learning experience for you. It can teach you patience and tolerance for how others choose to live.
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel cuz my mom is a hoarder, and i went through a time when my kids and I had to move back in with her. It is really hard to live in someone elses filth. You just clean up after yourself and that's all you can do. I think when someone lives like that it's some kind of mental problem. Just not normal, like they've just given up on even trying. Sad. But just keep on reminding yourself it's just temporary. If anything will get you through, that will. Try using your imagination and visualizing your dream home. Good luck.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2010