how do i get my son ever seperation anxiety

my son is 14 months old. he does good with people and when we are at church. however when we are at home he does not like me to leave the room or to do anything that is not directly involved with him. he will actually stand between me and sink and push me away from it. how do i get him to become more independent so i can get stuff done?

forgiveness2000

Asked by forgiveness2000 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This too shall pass. Its a phase and he'll get over it. Encourage him to play on his own and get him involved in playgroups, etc. so he can see how other children play. Don't poke fun at him or scold him - his feelings and needs are real and you should give in to them when you can. If you have to get something done though, then do it and try to involve him as much as possible. Give him a task to complete for you (rinse a plate or stack some cups, etc. while you're doing the dishes). He'll progressively get more and more independent over the next year or so.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Talk to him, he probably understands more than what he is able to say. Try getting him involved with an activity, start him off by playing with him for 5 minutes, then tell him momma will be back, she has to wash the dishes, or tell him momma can play after she finishes the dishes or what ever else chore you have. It will not traumatize him to say no and let him know you can't play at the moment.

zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 3:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It will pass eventually.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2010