I am trying to start a Charity please tell me what you think?

I am trying to start a Charity Organization for children and young teens with any type of illness. I want to find funds to donate new toys, electronics, movies, ECT. Raising money to fund tickets to theme parks, movies or any activity that the family would want to do but do to the hardships they are undergoing they lack money to do it. I would also like to have an arts and crafts, balloon or dancing activities days in Children’s hospitals. But I am trying to find out if this is something that is of a NESECITY before I try to start it. Please let me know what you all think thanks.

ellie6533

Asked by ellie6533 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think that's a good idea -sounds similar to Make A Wish Foundation. Maybe research that organization and see how they got started. Also maybe your state has a division in consumer affairs to help small business get a start to get guidance from.

Good Luck!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think that sounds nice!
    Anonymous

• I would start by finding a local networking group for NFPs, and take a grant-writing class.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Sounds good. Just make sure you have all the legal stuff taken care of first, for example registering your charity with the state. There are a number of funding options available for charities like grants and loans so take advantage of those. And remember you'll have to market your charity the same as a business has to market itself in order to get donations. You'll also need a website, business cards and the like. Your first year will be the most difficult year. Good luck.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'd try volunteering with other agencies that already do that kind of thing, like Make-A-Wish, St. Jude's or Ronald McDonald House. Until you have a really good handle on what goes on in those types of places, you won't get off to a good start with a charitable organization.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2010