Not a joke. Why can't I ever shut up?

I feel like I can't stop talking! I often say too much, and feel stupid later. Sometimes I sabotage things with my big mouth. I speak more while nervous. I notice it puts people off, and I get made fun of for it. I'm not proud of it and find it embarassing. But why can't I stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Couldn't say for certain why you cannot stop. But being aware makes a difference.

There's a saying about the reason we have two ears and one mouth; try to use the ears twice as much, you know?

It could be that you find silence awkward. Most of us do. But take a moment for silence. It can be so effective.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• well it could be a nervous habit, but honestly, I have ADD and that's a part of a problem for me. I say things and usually say more than I even wanted to, sometimes I embarrass myself. Its gotten to where I will be a broken record talking about the same issues on my mind and I know I'm boring my friends! I say to myself "do NOT talk about x today" and it helps but geez, does it have to be that hard? I'm pregnant right now so I'm not taking anything, but check out the book "driven to distraction" and see if any of that sounds like you. if you kinda daydream or have a hard time staying organized (but not even those things necessarily) that may be a part of it too. but I don't know, I'm talking thorugh my own perspective...and I'm talking quite a lot, huh? :)
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 3:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• lol OP here, mrs pulley I have both driven to distraction and delivered from distraction, and they are wonderful books. And yes I do have ADD. I'm sure it's a huge part of it, yet I am so aware of it but I feel like I can't control it.
    Anonymous

• I do the same thing. I've gotten better through the years. My problem is being sarcastic and going a bit too far totally unintentionally. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it but sometimes the next day I will think to myself that I shouldn't have said certain things. But in the end my charm makes up for it all:) lol
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I do the same thing. I really cant shut up when Im nervous and I have ADD. If its really causing problems you might want to see a doc but if not I wouldnt worry to much
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 4:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think that it is a trait to be proud of! A lot of people these days don't have the, you know, to tell people honest thoughts! You should be proud that you can do this and not worry about what the others think! Being nervous can have all kinds of effects! How you handle it and what you say varies from each individual! Don't worry about it too much! If people don't like the way that you are then they don't have to be around you! Just look at it as this is how you are and it's what makes you you! I have tons of friends like you and that is one of the attractions that draws me to them!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2010