what to do with a girl who is thirteen who seems to be obsessed with boys. is this what to expect from a teenage girl?

should I let her recieve calls from boys? I believe she is too young to date. I dont want to be an over protective parent either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• my daughter is 13, she goes and hangs out with her bf at teh skating rink and parks, always there is an adult with them. i think this is a normal thing for her at this age. phone calls are a normal thing for her age as well.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what the right answer is but I will tell you one thing. The friends I had in school who's parents wouldn't let them talk or socialize with the opposite sex are the ones who really got themselves into major trouble when they finally got some freedom (and some even got in some serious trouble in high school sneaking around behind their parents backs...they learned to lie like pros and didn't feel like they could call their parents when the did get into trouble). Learning how to build a good relationship, like most things, takes practice. Its your job to set ground rules, discuss appropriate behavior, expectations, etc. with your children (about all topics) before you no longer have a say.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• She is normal... I agree with PP let them hangout as long as there is an adult there... and phone calls are normal too... anyways GL!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I have a son that is 13...girls are obsessive and call alot. He takes it in stride Thank goodness. LOL She is normal. talk to her about good morals and behavior and let her call, hangout..etc. Like said before. Build lots of trust and openess...she won't fail you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Normal behavior. Phone calls are ok too.. It is a CONVERSATION.

why should she not be allowed to hang out with friends, or have them around with an ADULT keeping an eye on them... Nothing wrong or abnormal about it. It is the kids who do NOT get to be "normal" and socialize that wind up in HUGE trouble, because they learn to be sneaky and hide everything.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Supervision is the key at this age, it is normal to start the obsession with boys at 13 (at least it was for me I recall), but set rules and guidelines to enforce. And watch for internet conversations/contact, too, and for texting. It's a whole new world from when I was this age with the changes in technology and I think that is really something new that parents have to keep an eye on.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My son is 13 has a girlfriend and asked to go to the movies with her, I said only if done in a group and adult supervision. They ended up not going. He said her mom would go to a different movie and I said the above and Aaron realizes it is for is own good even though he didnt like it.
    They text all the time, its insane lol she is very girly and very much has a crush on him. I even told him no kissing you are not ready for that, they do hug a quick hug when I pick him up from school. Jr High is just too young to be getting all serious.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes, girls that age are usually obsessed with boys, but that doesn't mean you have to let her date. If you decide to let her, make sure she is chaperoned.
    Anonymous

• One influence I see missing from the above - all valuable - answers is - what is she watching. in the way of TV, movies, computer, videogames ... ?

My kids (10 years ago) were not spending time with computer/videogame stuff, did not watch adult / R-rated movies, and had far too much going on in their lives (schoolwork, practice musical instrument, swim team, karate/basketball/etc.) to EVER go "hang out" at a mall before they were out of high school ! ... We agreed to it once after our 2nd son complained bitterly and at length about how strict we were. He (15yrs old) came home Saturday evening slightly stoned from someone he met up with. That was the LAST time he got to "hang out".
    Supervision is indeed key. They truly are still children, and NEED parental guidance until they are 22 or so. (After 15, of course, your parental guidance becomes more low-key)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• being boy crazy at 13 is normal.

Being over protective is normal.

That being said.. there is nothing wrong with giving her a little okay to do some things.. like talk with a boy on the phone, or go on a date, as long as it's monitored.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2010