terrible twos...possibly?

my dd is very good for the most part..but she has her moments..her fits..we have started time out, and have been doing it now for about 2 months or so..and she rarely gets a time out,..she listens very well, and overall is a good kid..but she can throw a fit and scream that would make the experts go running..lol..how can i get her to stop throwing fits, at home, or at least in public? if she's in the stroller, i can ignore her and she'll settle down within a few minutes,..but if we're at a restaurant nothing works, at home too. she has all sorts of toys and colors and everything..so i don't know how to calm her down..and also what kind of toys are good for restaurants?..what works for your kids? we've tried to distract her with toys but it doesn't seem to work..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• btw..it's only been recently that she's been doing this..
    Anonymous

• For some kids, its just a personality trait. Your best bet is prevention. Fatigue or hunger are the two biggest culprits. Anticipate her mood...if she missed a nap, didn't sleep well last night, etc. then tonight probably isn't the best bet for a restaurant. Also, if you're eating an hour later than normal...thats enough to throw the typical toddler into a tailspin. Try bringing snacks to the restaurant for her to munch on while you're waiting for dinner. Also, toddlers thrive on consistency...keep her schedule and her routine as consistent as possible. When she does have a tantrum, try whispering to her. She'll have to shut up to hear you. Don't try to cheer her up - just state the rule and then ignore the behavior (i.e. "No cookies until you've eaten your carrots", etc.) Be consistent here too....a tantrum should NEVER result in the child's desired result. People do what works - if throwing the tantrum never works
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• ...she'll eventually stop throwing tantrums.
    ANGIE409

• In a restaurant - you need to take her out if she doesn't quiet down really fast.
    Anonymous

• For the restaurant or other public place I have heard to do a time out in the car- as in take her to the car, put in her car seat and then close the car door. You then stand right outside the car door so you can see the child- obviously you would never leave a child in a car unattended- for the two minutes or however long your timeouts last. This way when you are out in public you can still use the threat of time out and the kid knows you can follow through on it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Its true. Its very much my son's personality trait. if he has a fit, no amount of distraction is going to work, no matter where we are. If we are out, we've had to leave or walk him outside and he'll test us over and over to make sure we are staying consistant. He's not the learn the one time and forever type of child. nope.. I put my son in his room at home because timeouts aren't working for us and he'll beat the floor kick scream cough til he almost throws up... and will continue to do so until we go in there and talk to him.. I am a first time mom so this strong willed little boy I birthed has so far made me throw out the books I've read because they aren't applying..lol!! he's not been easy since birth in my case so this is not uncommon for us over here in Max's world!! lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• op here----sorry to come off rude,..but i refuse to leave if my child is throwing a fit..time out in the car i can understand, and should start doing..thanks for that tip!!!..but to have to leave a store bc your child is having a fit, i don't understand..first time mom too, but i feel like if a child knows that they will leave a store by throwing a fit, what happens every time a child throws a fit at the mall?..i don't see it "fair", for lack of a better word, to give up what your doing out to go home because your child is having a fit..maybe it's just me though..
    Anonymous

• I don't leave for a fit, but I don't allow it to continue in public. Other people don't really care about consistency when they're trying to enjoy their cheese fries.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• No I totally know what you are saying, I held strong for a good 10 times... I don't know why he thinks its ok to throw them at the store but he does and i didn't just drop it all and leave, I kept my trip short and quick and kept trying it knowing that he NEEDED to learn to behave and sit and listen but man this kid can scream so I stopped letting him come with 2 times beacuse he couldn't behave, he cried not being able to come wit hand that has helped for him to want to behave more, but I did stop for a while going to run errands til he was in bed cause ti got so bad. When we were out to eat, same deal. We didn't up and leave for good, we took him out, talked to him told him he had to stop his fit and brought him back but he started within minutes so we just stopped going for a while. it wasn't worth it,
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2010