Do you or you husband/SO work a night shift? My DH is considering taking a night shift job. I'm worried that he won't get enough sleep during the day when the kids are home being noisy. How do you do it?

DigiScrapperMom

Asked by DigiScrapperMom at 3:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work overnights every weekend. Haven't had any problems with sleeping when I need it; I just shut the door and when I'm asleep I don't hear a thing. I honestly don't do anything special to get to sleep on those days.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• What my hub did when he worked mids was to get ear plugs, then turn the radio on fairly loud, or anything noisey. It kept the noise level down so he could sleep. I kept my vaccumming and stuff to do when he woke up.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• it sucks for my family. My dh has been trying to get back on day shift for over a year no but it seems no one ever quits day shift where he works. He sleeps all morning and our dd is at school during the day so he doesn't get to see her at all until the weekend. Its put a large amount of stress on us because we are working 2 different shifts and its hard to fit in time together (without the kids) so i wouldnt recommend it if you have kids and thats just my personal opinion.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 4:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Thanks for your answers, ladies! Do you/did he have hard time staying awake at work? My DH would be working pretty much all by himself sitting at a desk and he's not sure he would be able to keep himself awake all night. I think he would eventually get used it.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• GL hon! My DH took the night shift and our marriage hasn't been the same ever since. We are 2 ships passing. He sleeps most of the day and rarely gets to spend time with me and DD. We get weekends together, but his body is conditioned to stay awake at night and sleep during the day, so even that is a struggle. Our relationship has suffered considerably. We only see each other long enough to discuss the things that HAVE to be discussed. No sex, no communication, no time. :`( I wish you all the best. I know some families do it and all is fine, I just miss my DH so much.
    Anonymous

• ellegrl, that's another thing I worry about. He would really only see our older daughter on his days off and there is not much chance of ever switching to days. This is at Intel.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My husband works nights. We live in a small place and the kids do not keep him up during the day. He wears ear plugs and closes the bedroom door. We do however have issues with not seeing Dad and me feeling like a single mother. Oh, and having time for sex is a real challenge too.

I agree with the things Anon 4:07 had to say.
    Anonymous

• shhTime to train them to use their library voices for the sake of keeping a roof over their heads.

Anonymous

• Mine has a job that requires him to work day shifts, mid shifts and night shifts. Most nights. I work from home and our daughter is a toddler so we are all on his sleep schedule. But when I was working full time outside of the house, it was a different story. We only saw each other two days out of the week and were single parents for five days. Him during the day and me at night. i agree with Anon. The greatest threat isn't how much or little sleep he'll get. The greatest threat is what it will do to your relationship and his relationship with the rest of the family. Also, my dad worked nights for many years when I was a kid and I barely saw him during those times. We had to keep our voices and the TV volumn down.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• it is hard and takes getting used to my fiance has been working overnights since before we got together 6 years ago. he sleeps alot during the day and then gets up and spends a little time wityh us and then out the door he goes. it will take time but it will be ok. o yea and ear plugs are a god sent.
    JoshysMommy8809

Answer by JoshysMommy8809 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2010