2 mo. girl's clitoris closed back up???? Is this normal?

My friend took her 2 mo. to the Dr. for a check-up & they had to slit her clitoris because it had grown back shut. I have never heard of this. Has anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Theres a slit in my clitoris?
    Anonymous

• I've heard of a vaginal opening closing back up and having to be reopened. My dd's did that. I've never heard about a clit being slit though.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• A clitoris doesn't "close up". It's a lump of tissue and nerve endings, covered partially by the clitoral hood. It sounds like maybe she was born with a fused clitoral hood, which is not necessarily something that would require surgury or anything, but that after she was "fixed" it healed back together again.

THat doesn't make much sense to me, I have never heard of a girl having any clitoral deformities.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• If it's her vagina closing. It's fairly common. They will give her a cream to rub on it and it should reopen with in a week or so. If they didn't give her meds, she needs to find a different doctor.
    Anonymous

• Anything is possible, even if it's something we've never heard of. My sons foresking tried to grow back, yea that was fun to take care of
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think it may the the issue where the vagina closes shut. The clitoris doesn't even get exposed until they are older.
    Anonymous

• wow, wow! Can't even imagine a doctor taking a scalpel to a 2 month olds girlie bits without a whole lot of consultation. Not can I imagine a Mom not at least asking for more info and a second opinion before they let someone do that. I have heard of the cream treatment , but to take a knife to it seems extreme, and at risk of introducing infection at a very tender age. I would ask your friend for more info.... no doctor should be trying to expose the clitoris at a 2 month check... so either your friend doesn't know the correct names for the different areas of the female body, she didn't understand or she needs a new doctor
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I am assuming you meant her vulva had closed back up, and yes, I've heard of it. It's rare, but treatable. I don't think the slit is major, I might compare it to putting an earring back in a ear hole that has partially closed. You definitely don't want the labia to fuse back together. It's one of the things they look for when they take off the baby's diaper, making sure it separates easily.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010