My son just turned 2... but doesn't seem interested in potty yet..

How do I start? And with a boy do you start them standing up to pee?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have him watch dad but he'll do better closer to 3 not 2
    Anonymous

• my son has been watching dad and we have slowly tried to introduce it since he was 18 months, yep, he's so FAR from interested.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Anecdotally, the smarter the kid, the harder they are to toilet train. My daughter was tying her shoes and reading long before she was out of diapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Kids don't magically get interested in the potty until way later. You have to introduce it and make it fun. To a kid, he goes in his diaper and parents go in the potty, like he sleeps by himself and the parents sleep together. It is just the way it is. You are the one that has to change that perception. It doesn't just magically happen unless you wait forever.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You need to wait until he begins showing signs of being ready or interested. You can't force potty training.
    Anonymous

• I disagree with whiterose, I understand what she means however, I have done charts, we've done stickers, suckers, cheerio's, corn flakes, dancing and making a huge production and then being "as a matter of fact " about it and a few weeks ago we did underpants.. he is NOT interested,. NOT ready..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Anecdotally, the link between intelligence and potty abilities is bullshit. You just have to be consistent in your methods and not be so damn afraid of destroying your child's delicate psyche.
    Anonymous