Seriously, what is the difference?

YOu read a story about a mother/father who beat their child to death in the name of their "God". They believe the bible tells them they are to do this.

You read another story about a mother/father who refuse to give in to the intruder, and will not renounce their god, and their child is killed in front of them for it.

What is the difference?! How can you condemn one, but not the other?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Both take the LITERAL interpretation to the extreme. It is literal interpretation which causes things like the Ruby Ridge atrocity, true that our government went too far, but again- religion gave them reason.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The obvious reason is that the first parents are hurting someone for their religion, and the other ones are being hurt for their religion.

If you were wanting to take a closer look, I would say that the family that killed their child were just evil people using religion as an excuse for it. Assuming that we're talking about the Christian bible, the bible is pretty clear on not abusing and provoking your children. Criminals make all sorts of excuses for why they commit the crimes they do.

Anonymous

• "The obvious reason is that the first parents are hurting someone for their religion, and the other ones are being hurt for their religion."

I'd say the one being hurt is the child....not the parents.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I say if the parent refuses to do anything to keep their child from dying then they should be charged with a crime.
    Anonymous

• I couldn't find any scriptures that would condone inflicting torture and abuse on a child! What are the scriptures the first family relied on? Any idea? Sends shivers down my spine. That poor child.
    Greymulkin

Answer by Greymulkin at 4:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Lets do this...
    Let's say someone decides to put a gun to the head of a child and threatens to kill them you do not denounce athiesm, or buddism or muslim or any other relgion.and their god or lack of. .. would you do it?

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would do absolutely anything to save my child. And I mean, anything.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Lets do this...

I would do WHATEVER it took/said/do to protect my child... to me it is illogical not to no matter the beliefs...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree that I would have no problem lying to a murderer to save my child's life.

But to answer the question as it was posed, I think God Himself would see a vast difference between killing a child oneself and being a captive present while ANOTHER PERSON is killing a child.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• "But to answer the question as it was posed, I think God Himself would see a vast difference between killing a child oneself and being a captive present ANOTHER PERSON kills a child. "

Essentially though, the parent is making the choice to NOT denounce god, therefore putting the nail in the childs coffin, so to speak. They are essentially giving the "ok" to have their child killed.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010