Can You Help With This Banana Bread Recipe Please?

I was about to bake a banana bread when I realized I had run out of baking soda, which is one of the ingredients. I then found a substitution but I don't know what it means by "acidic liquid". What liquid am I supposed to replace when the original recipe doesn't call for any liquid ingredients and what do I replace it with?

Original Recipe Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas

Substitution for Baking Soda:

2 tsp. double-acting baking powder + replace acidic liquid ingredient in recipe with non-acidic liquid

What would be the correct baking soda - baking powder substitution to use here? Would it be ok to just sub the 2 tsp of baking powder for the baking soda and to skip the liquid altogether?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'm afraid that the mashed bananas are the acidic liquid in this recipe -they have a pH of 4.6-4.8. Can you run out and get some baking soda?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i agree, i would use baking soda - another ingredient i always use is buttermilk (which is 1/2 cup milk with 1 and a half tsp of vinegar)
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 4:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Lemon juice and vinegar are two very common acidic liquids.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2010