Does anybody have a quirky cure for a toddler with exzema?

My daughter is 2 and has always had terrible exzema she scratches until she bleeds. I've heard everything from bleach to laundry soap, any real ideas?

kenzsmama

Asked by kenzsmama at 4:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG bleach? That's terrible. There's no cure, but Aquaphor by Eucerin is great. It is a thick ointment. It's $14 for a tub of it at Target. I have been using it for a while on my daughter. I thought she had eczema, but it turns out that she has keratosis pilaris..........which the Aquaphor also helps with. It's pricey, but it's so thick that you don't need to use very much. Poor baby, I hope this helps.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• aveeno lotion worked great for my son
    Anonymous

• cortizone cream twice a day when it's to that point, then daily lotion such as the aveeno one for eczema.
    Anonymous

• We used Elidel for our daughter for a while to get it under control because it was REALLY bad. She'd scratch and bleed also. She was only about 5 months old though. Then we started using cortisone cream once every other day and Eucerin several times a day. It's hard to get rid of and when you finally get it under control you still have to stay on top of it.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 5:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I know my son got ezema and it was from actually drinking milk and eating dairy.. just something to consider,...My girlfriend uses aveeno and cortisone for her sons.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My 3 yr old has it. This is what we do. Bath every day with nonscented shampoo & body wash. Dont rub her w/ the towel. Just pat dry. Apply Eucerine cream all over her... very liberal with it. Really slather it on. I wash her clothes in only unscented laundry detergent & unscented fabric softener. Every other day in the bath water I put about two tablespoons of mineral oil (you get this in the laxative section of the drug store; know it sounds strange but that is where they sell it. its like baby oil but w/out fragrance). Dont get the mineral oil water in the hair though..hard to get out. We also have a script from the doctor for an ointment called "Desonide" for any real problem areas.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• My friend (future SIL actually) just told me this weekend to try a little tea tree oil in the bath then lotion after the bath like always. She swore by it so I think I might try. No harm in tea tree oil right!? At least it's better than bleach...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Eliminate dairy.
    Keep baths short, cool and infrequent. Use a very mild soap (or none at all) like Dr. Bronners baby soap.
    Put coconut oil on the afflicted areas.

It can take six weeks to get dairy completely out of the body.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• diary? ok well, I have 2 kids with it & nobody here does "diary" because we are all lactose intolerant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• sorry "dairy" not "diary"...that's a funny typo though...have to remember that one.
    Anonymous