Is it too soon to introduce him to the potty?

My son is almost 20 months. He is extremely small for his age. (people think he is 5-6 months until they see his teeth LOL) Anyway I was thinking about starting to introduce him to the potty. I have a feeling it will be hard to potty train him. So, I was thinking introducing him earlier may help him later. I'm not going to push it or anything just maybe sit him on it when he wakes up maybe after lunch/before nap, after nap, and before bed time.

Do you think it's too early? Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No way. My first daughter started trained at 19 months and my 17 month old is in underwear around the clock, though I still don't consider her fully "trained" because she won't ask to go on her own. No reason to assume it will be hard, either. I find training before two very effective.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• its not too early
    Anonymous

• Heck no!!! We have been PTing my DD since she was 14 months! She is 20 months now, and basically "awake" PTed! (She still does pulls ups for nap/bed time, and has an occasional accident). Get him started!!!

One word of advice though, let him be INVOLVED! Let him pick out his chair, his big boy undies (and lose the diapers, put him straight in undies all day long). Trust me, it helps!
    Anonymous

• I will try pull ups but i think they may be big for him he's super small He wear 3-6 month clothes! He's delayed. I tried letting him pick out his own potty but he had no concept of what I was telling him he was trying to grab things off the shelves instead. His birthmom did drugs...I think he will catch up in time because his sister was the same way and now shes advanced for her age :D
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• With a small child I would use a potty chair and not a ring. I have twins, and the skinny one is afraid he'll fall in! It's not too early to introduce, but I definitely wouldn't push it at this point. We started out adding "potty time" to the bath routine. I'd pull them out of the tub, dry them off, and sit them on the potty. A boy also needs some opportunity to witness Daddy in the bathroom so he knows what he is supposed to do. After he watches daddy a few times he may be ready to try it for himself. Definitely ask your husband to help you out here and take your son to the bathroom with him sometimes.
    Anonymous

• A couple of ideas... I'd suggest getting both a stand alone potty and a potty ring (you can get one of each at Target for a total of about $20). I'd give him some time to play around on the potty chair, see if he feels like sitting with his clothes on... or offer to have him sit on the potty ring on the big toilet after you go. Talk to him about what you do. Don't expect him to want to sit for long at first... What we did with our 17 month old who's now almost trained is we had her sit on the potty ring after meals, before bed, after waking up... She wouldn't sit long at first, but as she got comfortable we started reading to her there. At around 16 months we started getting a lot of "hits" -- usually poop. After about a week of those, she was only pooping on the potty (we knew her schedule). Shortly after that she started peeing more and then keeping her diaper dry, so we just switched her to undies.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• (cont'd...) With my first daughter we went straight to underwear and stayed home and just helped her figure it out for about a week. It was a messier operation, but it worked, too. Also, both my girls, though they were young, haven't wanted to have much to do with the potty chair. The ring they liked, though. Munchkin makes a good, sturdy, comfortable one (more comfy than the ones with characters on them).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2010