Isn't it mean to call your kid Fat?

I have a friend on Facebook who calls her kid fat everytime she talks about him in her status. I don't know I think it's mean. He's a little over weight and I guess that's her nickname for him. He's sick now and she changed her status to "Fat baby has an ear infection! Poor Fat baby! :(......!" I think it's mean. Isn't she going to give him a complex or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• no if my kid is getting chubby, i tell her. i wont lie. im honest.
    Anonymous

• yeah, that's not nice. the poor kid is gonna have self esteem issues when he's bigger.

Why the heck doesn't she do something for him instead of just calling him fat? How old his he? Babies are allowed to be bit chunky IMO but once their older, come on! she could feed him healthy, get him out in the yard playing for exercise.
    Anonymous

• how old is the kid? i loved the fact that my four month old resembled a squish ball and called him my chubby munkey and squish bug. now he's a lean, active five year old. i think it would be mean if she said it to his face and he was old enough to understand. like "Hey fatty, bring your homework over here so mommy can see..."
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 4:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i call my child fat, there are too many wimpy kids out there, we are too sensitive, tell it like it is, so they get off there fat ass and quit being lazy
    Anonymous

• Nothing like breaking down a kids self esteem early in life. I dont personally agree with it but that JMO. I can see if it were an infant who is chubby but i wouldnt say fat I would say somethng else like "my lil chunky monkey" but i wouldnt be saying it after they were a few months old.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• OP here!!!
    He's 6 already! Turning 7 in April. I teach my kids not to call others names such as Fat so I thought it would be rude.
    Anonymous

• Not if it's a baby who doesn't know what's going on. But to say it to their face, yes, I think that's cruel and it does give people issues. I think some people are bothered by their fat babies b/c every parent I know with a fat baby is always like 'my baby loves to eat' or 'my baby is so fat!'
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• What age? If the child is little I don't think its that bad but not a nickname I would give my kid. I call my infant chubby bubby because I'm proud she is so chubby off momma's milk, but I won't call her that forever. I also tell my DD 8 eating certain foods or snacking all time will make you fat. I will not let my kids become fat I think its child abuse. My cupboards would be bare and I would shop day to day before I ever let one of my kids get fat. My DH was fat when he was younger. He was made fun and had no friends growing up.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 5:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• See, this is so sad. I teach my son to be nice, wait your turn, don't hit, don't pinch, don't call people names til you walk in thier shoes type of life and this is why kids run in front of him at the play place and think its ok to take toys away from him while the parents sit by thinking the whole world is their too.. yuck.. some people SUCK!
    Anonymous

• When our 2nd was born his nickname was "Jr Samples" from HeeHaw,lolol.. He was a cute chubby baby, but it didn't give him a complex, he was a baby,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2010