Alrighty "carseat Nazis"...(not my phrase!)... can anybody tell me...

How I can tell a good carseat from a not so good one? Does more money always mean more quality? What should I look for? What should I avoid? I've had a kid before but we couldn't afford to buy just anything...this time I am working from home so we can be more choosey. My baby boy is due in May...so we're talking about a newborn seat. I would like a carrier type though so I can keep him sleeping when we get in and out of the car. Other than that stipulation...I'm all ears!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• anything on the shelves at stores, as long as they dont have a recall on them. do not buy used.
    Anonymous

• Okay... I only ask because I found a double stroller I'd like to get. The carseat is sold separately and I found it...but it's only 99 dollars...so I was wondering if that meant it was crap...or if it just happens to be a good deal.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't buy anything but Graco, but that's a personal preference.

& most people I know only use Graco.

RachMeg08

Answer by RachMeg08 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i would check to make sure it has a 5 point harness, 3 point is ok too, but personally i think the 5 point are a little safer, especially on little babies. And i would check the weight and height limit. The first car seat we bought was a good car seat but the heigt limit is shorter than most of the others so we ended up having to get a different one anyways. If you like it, and it looks safe, i would go online to one of the places that sells it and read some of the reviews and get other moms opions who already have it. Good luck.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• They all have to pass the same safety standards. For an infant seat, I like the Graco SnugRide (or I think it's SafeSeat now) or the Chicco Keyfit. Both have a 30 lb weight limit I believe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Okay...just checked the Target website where I found it...and one mom said "the five point harness really works" and she was side swiped and her babies didn't even budge. So I guess that's good. Wonder why it's so inexpensive though!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Definately don't by anything used. Usually all carseats are about the same unless they have a recall but I personally like the GRACO brand. I had the disney brand of carseat and I hated it. GRACO supported her head better
    hayliesmommy20

Answer by hayliesmommy20 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2010