Single Moms, would you marry for security?

So I was listening to an audio book at work like I do every day. Mostly I listen to romance novels. So this guy falls in love with a single mother. She is having a hard time. He proposes and she accepts for security. Catch is she has to give him babies. He will provide for her current children plus any others and if the marriage breaks up there is no prenup. (He's rich in the story). So, would you do it and hope love comes after marriage?
My mother was actually approached by a friend. He was older though. He had no children of his own and was dying. He wanted her to move in with him and nurse him till he died. Her BF was jealous of a 90 yr old man so she didn't do it! I always thought her stupid for that. For a younger man who wanted her to marry him I could understand not doing it. But in my mothers situation I would have done it in a heartbeat.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• No I would marry for love and security but not only for security.
    Anonymous

• If I liked the guy and he was a good man then yes... I married for love once and it was awful so I think that has disillusioned me to love.... a good man who treats my daughter and me right is fine with me.
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 5:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I don't think we will ever get married. I love my SO, and plan on being with him forever. But I don't think I need to get married in order to be together. In that situation, I don't think I would do it, either. Sounds like a gold digger (situation) to me!
    Anonymous

• Maybe she actually liked her bf. Would I do it? If I truly liked and respected the man and he really wanted to take care of me & my future financially. I'd have to see his net worth before I gave up what I have including my prized independence. I'm not much of a nursemaid so I'd probably be there for him but hire a nurse. Although I'll say I've never found that money brings happiness. I lost a fortune years ago. I thought I'd die over that but I didn't. I just had to back up, adjust and regroup. I had to change my outlook on material things and money. I've made peace with not having money anymore.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i would have to marry for love..money isnt everything especially if you dont like the person completely..however i dont doubt love will eventually come but i would want to have and feel love first and work together for finances isn that what love really is?
    Anonymous

• I almost did it... My baby was sick and in and out of the hospital. I was in college and the Medical bills were HIGH so My friend said he had always loved me and would provide for us if I married him... I didnt do it though
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 7:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• if he was her bf i would think she would have done it. he didnt have any claim on her then. maybe she just didnt want to nurse a 90 year old man???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2010