NT screening

anyone ever done this? the MD says that in addition to safely judging likihood of abnormalities but it can also predict fetal age...i have read cases where fetal sex has also been seen... what do you all know?

(ps... sooo cute, it's not totally necessary as an abnormality is unlikely; but the dad wants to know EVERYTHING!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• NT screening.. is that the quad screening? We did the quad when I was preg with my DD because SIL has down syndrome, and my doc wanted to make sure that there weren't any issues with DD. Found out there was a higher chance she had it, so I had to do a in depth ultrasound. I was FREAKING OUT for about three weeks because I thought there was something wrong with my baby. I would cry myself to sleep every night, scared to death that there was going to be something wrong with her. They did the U/S and found no abnormalities. It was HORRIBLE to go through that, and have her be just fine. I never, never recommend the screening to anyone, especially anyone who wouldn't terminate the pregnancy either way (like me).
    Anonymous

• Yeah, i opted not to do this test. I knew many people with false results. I decided it would cause me more stress to the pregnancy to know or think there was something wrong with my baby and when my baby was born and if something was wrong, I would know then. Actually my adorable husband was the same way but even he didn't want to do this one.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I took it but only with my last (it wasn't offered with the first ones). They get some really good profile pictures of the baby with this. It's also a really neat gestational age to look at the baby because you can see all the baby and they don't seem too squished and just move around freely. We saw my little girl bouncing one leg on her other leg. Too cute! We did find out at that age what gender she was, but because it's pretty early they'll only give you about an 80%. My friend found out she was having aboy at this screening too. Honestly, this one and the 20 week ultrasounds are my favorite!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 6:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I had this done on Monday and to be honest I regret it. They needed to see the back of baby's neck for a measurement but baby wouldn't look away from the machine. After 20 minutes of going back and forth between the intravaginal and abdominal ultrasound... she never got the measurement she needed and now wants me to go back next monday. She was doing everything imaginable to get baby to move but it would not turn away, she even tried bumping my cervix which caused me to start cramping up afterwards. My poor baby kept covering his face and even hubby said he felt bad, ugh I still feel awful because it was so unnecessary. Even worse, I initially turned down the test, but my doctor really pushed me to do it so I gave in. I'm really considering canceling monday's repeat appointment. Yeah I got to see baby, but it just wasn't worth it.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2010