what age should she go to the dentist

My family is telling me I should take my daughter to the dentist when she's six months because she's already getting her teeth. But I called my dentist and they said that they won't take her until she's 12months. I was wondering if it was just my dentist that doesn't do young infants or is it every dentist. And also what age should I take her to the dentist. Because 6 months sounds early to me, but my husband and I are first time parents, so we don't really know. Also I read on a baby website, babycenter.com that I should take her when she's 6 months, but I'm kind of confused

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician told me that as long as we are taking care of her teeth she doesn't need to go until she is two. I made her first appt at 18 months, though, just to be safe. MOST doctors/densits recommend 1 year.
    Anonymous

• My dentist said  he would do a "fun check" (counting teeth and showing her teeth with the mirror) when she is 2 1/2 and do a real check up when she is 3. He also said if she had any problem (fell and hit her tooth, tooth falls out, gums bleeding, discoloring teeth) that he would see her then.

RachMeg08

Answer by RachMeg08 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• 2
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• newborn
    Anonymous

• My dentist says around age 3 when they are able to sit still in the chair and let the dentist check their teeth, but my older daughter's pediatric dentist says age 1.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I used to work for a pediatric dentist and he always recommended 2-2 1/2, but I recently saw a poster in the WIC office that said all babies should have seen a dentist by age 1 - I think that's truly ridiculous!
    Anonymous

• My doctor said 3. We just took my son and he turned 3 in Dec. I really didn't see the need before that. I think one reason they want you to start young is so that they don't have a fear of the dentist later.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Our dentist told us 18 months. I can't recommend strongly enough to take your child to a pediatric dentist.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2010