What age did you start rice cereal with you baby

does it really make that big of a difference in them sleeping through the night. Did you spoon feed it to them or feed it in a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just went to the doc for my son and she said go ahead and start it now. He is 5 months on the 28th. She said I could have started when he was four months. I give it to him with a spoon and really has taken a liking to it. We just started on friday. He has had in the morning and in the evening before bed and it has made no difference on his sleeping schedule. But I am pretty sure it has made him constipated.. But good luck it's a fun milestone!
    HarpersMom715

Answer by HarpersMom715 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• cndy corn made my baby sleep i squish it up and mix it in the bottle
    Anonymous

• 6 months spoon fed and seems to sleep a little bit longer
    Anonymous

• What is with the one anon's answers today? 7 months, no it didn't make her sleep better.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Never. It is a myth that it helps babies sleep better. It was always fruits or veggies as the first food, my youngest had avocado at 8 months and still loves it.

Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 5:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I started DD at 5 mos, by spoon and no, it did NOT help her sleep. In fact, she slept WORSE, which is common. DS didn't eat baby cereal. Started tastes of veggies around 8 mos, but only a few bites every few days. He ate regularly at 11 mos. Did not affect his sleep.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It is a big myth that it helps them sleep through the night! There have been many studies done on this and it does not. If someone tells you it worked for their baby it was probably a coincidence. NEVER in a bottle see: http://www.drgreene.com/qa/baby-bottles-and-cereal

Feed with a spoon, best to wait until baby is at least 6 months.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I'm not going to at all. Rice cereal won't make babies sleep longer and in fact the added iron in it can be extremely constipating and have the opposite effect of causing wakefulness from constipation and stomach upsets especially in babies under six months old (they have a more immature digestive system). Putting it in a bottle, by the way, is a choking hazard. Having said all that, it also tastes horrible.

When I do start food, it will be normal table food.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Never is best. Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• We started at 4 months spoon fed and he hated it, wouldn't hardly eat it until I switched to the mixed fruit flavor and he loved it. I didn't notice that he slept any better but I talked to lots of gals that I worked with and they swore by it, saying that it was the answer to their baby's sleeping problems. I think the only time that it does make the baby sleep better is when baby is ready to start on baby food because he isn't getting full enough on just formula anymore. If you are going to try it for the first time I would suggest a small about in the evening (around 5-6pm) I have heard that you are not suppose to put it in bottles and honestly the amount that you would put in a bottle and still be able to get it to come out through the nipple would be such a small amount that I doubt it would make much difference. Rice cereal NEVER constipated my son or gave him tummy aches or caused fussiness-every baby is different
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010